orchid feeding question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy4mantis

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just got a subadult female orchid mantis. I don't have any flies to feed her .I've heard that bees are their natural food source and the seller told me to feed bees, but she still looks too small to eat them in my opinion. (just over 1.5 in.) would she be able to eat one?

thanks

ps .I know that feeding bees is not good because they are threatened but I have nothing else to feed at the moment. I will start using flies in the spring.

Bees are on the decline, so no bees. Mealworms are a good alternate food source for flower mantids when you dont have any flies. They have saved my butt more than once lol.

You may have to break down and buy flies if you plan on keeping Idolos and Orchids in the winter? They don't like non flying food types.

Wasps and moths work well, but if you have bee's then you should have flies around also?

You may have to break down and buy flies if you plan on keeping Idolos and Orchids in the winter? They don't like non flying food types.

Wasps and moths work well, but if you have bee's then you should have flies around also?
No flies but bees everywhere. <_<

what's the harm in catching a couple bees whilst waiting for flies? they can be sweat bees or pea bees which r very small green bees or one of those mini bumblebee looking thingies

let her eat, one orchid mantis won't drive bees to extinction

or you can feed her butterflies or catch moths at lights during the night time ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
never mind she's presub not sub. so she's too small to eat honeybees? I've never really seen any non-honey or bumble bees.

Also she just molted yesterday morning. will she be able to eat yet? her abdomen is the thinnest I've ever seen on a mantis right now.

Keep her well-hydrated post molt!

Any flying insect should be fine - I got a kids butterfly net and if you just sweep it through tall grass you should pick up all kinds of flies and small butterfly/moths.

Latest posts