Orchid Mantis Sex

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidKeeper2

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I have been fortunate enough to have received an Orchid Mantis that molted recently to L4.  Based on an image taken today, we strongly feel the Orchid Mantis is a female, but just want to confirm with others who have more experience (this is our first Orchid...).  If you folks would be so kind to take a look at the image and confirm this is in fact a female, I promise to take more photos as she matures and share with you all!  Thanks!!!

mantis_sex_resize.jpg

I'm not positive, but it looks male, females have green around their "waists" and males have brown color almost. Yours doesn't have the green. 

That is indeed a female--you can see the cleft in the subgenital plate that is only present with females.

Collar color changes over time and is not a good indicator of sex. I've had female orchids keep a brown collar until they were subadult females. The cleft is clearly visible at L3 and if you have great magnification, you can see hints of it in L2--although it is not always clear enough to be sure at that point.

Latest posts