Orchid mantis very weak after molting. Advice please

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muze813

Reaction score
Hi guys,

If anyone has advice for me, I would really appreciate it. I have a subadult female orchid mantis (named Bunga). She molted during the night on Friday. She physically looks ok, but her legs are very weak. I have not been able to get her to eat insects in the last 24 hours, but this is also not uncommon for her the day after a molt. She was well fed before molting. I have been able to get her to eat honey and drink water off of my finger. Does this weakness seem like it could be a specific nutrient deficit of some kind? I was wondering if it would help to mix a calcium or other supplement into some honey for her? I will, of course, keep trying to offer her insects. It is really worrying me. I got her as an L2, and she has not had any issues with her other molts. If someone has seen this before or has suggestions, please advise me. Thank you

I have a weak idolo girl right now. I read that you can feed them chicken baby food as long as their is nothing in it besides chicken and broth. I bought some and my girl ate it good. I added distilled water to it so she would get some fluids in her...

Make sure she hangs upside down, it will make her regain strength in her legs. It should take a few day depending on her conditions.

Thank you both. She normally prefers to be hanging upside down, but is too weak to hang on right now. I will keep encouraging that. I will also get some baby food. Would a wet cat food pâté be a good option also?

Thank you both. She normally prefers to be hanging upside down, but is too weak to hang on right now. I will keep encouraging that. I will also get some baby food. Would a wet cat food pâté be a good option also?
Not sure on the cat food. I know that baby food only has two ingredience chicken and chicken broth. Just make sure there are no spices or other stuff in it...I bought beechnut like suggested. Stay as natural as you can.. Like they posted. Mantis in the wild eat hummingbirds so..Chicken shouldn't be to bad. It might give her strength. Also honey and water is good. Honey gives them lots of energy. Mantis pets sells flower power which I also give to them..Good luck with your girl..

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep giving her water and honey, making sure she is well hydrated. I've never fed any pet/baby food before, so I can't say from personal experience. However, mantises are designed to eat and digest the chitinous exoskeleton, hemolymph, "guts" of other insects. Perhaps you can take a blue bottle fly or moth, cut off the head, and stick the gooey insides to the mantid's mouth. If she feels like eating, she will start to chew and eat. If not, don't try to force her to eat. Just continue giving water and honey.

What have you been feeding her before? Has she always been fine in the past (i.e., eating normally, passing waste normally, etc)?

The decapitation method usually works for me, 9/10 times mine will take whatever is placed on/near their mouths. I'd try that and see if she goes for it. Could also add a little dab of honey on its prey, place the honey side to her mouth ( tweezers may be needed...) I've done this and helped a friend/forum member with his deathly sick unicorn mantis... Which in the end actually pulled through and survived after consuming a bad/sickly feeder cricket.

Keep her hydrated, and try that honey method.... It may actually help. But like already stated, don't FORCE her to eat... She will if she's interested

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

If anyone has advice for me, I would really appreciate it. I have a subadult female orchid mantis (named Bunga). She molted during the night on Friday. She physically looks ok, but her legs are very weak. I have not been able to get her to eat insects in the last 24 hours, but this is also not uncommon for her the day after a molt. She was well fed before molting. I have been able to get her to eat honey and drink water off of my finger. Does this weakness seem like it could be a specific nutrient deficit of some kind? I was wondering if it would help to mix a calcium or other supplement into some honey for her? I will, of course, keep trying to offer her insects. It is really worrying me. I got her as an L2, and she has not had any issues with her other molts. If someone has seen this before or has suggestions, please advise me. Thank you
After molting was she on her belly? or hanging upside down til hard enough?

Id had a large mantid who molted, but fell when hardening, and once on her belly, her legs formed so that they were unuseable... The knees over extend when they are on their belly and they harden that way so they arent able to be used.

I dont think itd be related to nutrition honestly.

Also calcium doesnt work on mantids, as they dont have bones. But honey does help healing, though it doesnt sound like shes injured. But if you want her to have more energy, you could simple try green or lipton tea. Just be sure to hydrate her with plain water as well, tea can be dehydrating.

Ive given mine tea and have also given them gensing extract. Tea has a lot of health benefits.

Good luck!

The decapitation method usually works for me, 9/10 times mine will take whatever is placed on/near their mouths. I'd try that and see if she goes for it. Could also add a little dab of honey on its prey, place the honey side to her mouth ( tweezers may be needed...) I've done this and helped a friend/forum member with his deathly sick unicorn mantis... Which in the end actually pulled through and survived after consuming a bad/sickly feeder cricket.

Keep her hydrated, and try that honey method.... It may actually help. But like already stated, don't FORCE her to eat... She will if she's interested
I still cant believe she pulled through LOL

Damn this guy LAMEs an awesome dude!! :eek: !