Overfeeding?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chivalry

Reaction score
I'm seeing conflicting advice on this... can you overfeed a mantis? (or does it depend on species?) I offer food to all of mine every day unless whatever it was is HUGE in comparison; since I was out of house flies one day, Kali the Destroyer nom'd a blue bottle fly at least as big as she is... she is an L3 creo. I sat there chewing my nails while she stalked it but she had no problem catching and holding on to it.... and it took her forever but she ate it all. I withheld food the day after that.

So, what is the consensus? How often do you offer food? Is it true that the more you feed the more you shorten life spans?

We are fussing over these bugs more I did with my kid, I think :)

No. In capture u cant overfeed... if they have anough they will stop (also killers like Sphrodomantis, Rhombodera, Hierodula,...)

Buuuuut... when they are really fat u should pay more attention, cause when they fall down theyr abdomen can get hurt (and the Mantis die)

When u want to mate your mantis it is good to feed her so fat... she cant eat her male then =P

6266704459_7eda8bb3f5_b.jpg

best regards

Using the forum's search function for "overfeed" yields some decent results. I noticed that hibiscusmile offered this advice on feeding frequency in the subject "How many times should a mantis be fed a week?":

The nymphs need to be watered and fed every day until adult. The adult females can be fed every day, try not to over feed her, but do give water to. The males need a drink every day and can be fed every other day is they appear to eat when fed, if not, try just three times a week.
Regarding overfeeding, I think there are numerous risks and health issues that arise if a mantis overeats. Many consider it to be a significant contributing factor of mismolts.

Thanks for the link Lunarstorm. I have been wondering about this myself. I had to wrestle some cricket from my L-4 budwing because I was worried about her overeating.

Latest posts