Oxyothespis dumonti fresh nymphs! (North African Grass Mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
One of my 3 ooths hatched 7 nymphs yesterday. Then a straggler dropped out a few minutes ago.

They are pretty tiny so I had to use my extension tubes to get the super close ups. That means these aren't my best pics, and shows why I need the Canon MP-E 65mm lens! If anyone wants to buy it for me I will give you some free mantids. It's only $950. :blink:

Here they are soon after hatch...

Odumonti_6902-sm.jpg

Odumonti_6872-sm.jpg

Odumonti_6881-sm.jpg

Odumonti_6885-sm.jpg

Odumonti_6883-sm.jpg

Odumonti_6896-sm.jpg

Odumonti_6874-sm.jpg

And this is what they look like the next day.

Size reference...

OdumontiL1_6966-sm.jpg

They are very jumpy with their little grasshopper-like rear legs.

OdumontiL1_6951-sm.jpg

OdumontiL1_6953-sm.jpg

OdumontiL1_6933-sm.jpg

OdumontiL1_6946-sm.jpg

OdumontiL1_6921-sm.jpg

OdumontiL1_6924-sm.jpg

OdumontiL1_6957-sm.jpg

I transfered them to a new home with springtails but also added melanogaster fruit flies.

One was brave enough to grab one!

OdumontiL1_6958-sm.jpg

OdumontiL1_6961-sm.jpg

OdumontiL1_6960-sm.jpg

Nice! And that's a cool looking mantis. That fly looks so big compared to the mantis, and I know how tiny those flies actually are.

Is that your finger? If so, your fingernail is cleaner than mine right now. :eek:

Awesome, glad you didn't have duds! I especially liked the size reference shot, amazing that one *did* eat a d. mel.!

Yay! I knew they'd hatch. Thanks for posting these. It's so much more than I can see with the naked eye (and my eyes aren't good). They'll stop being so jumpy in a week or so.

Is that your finger? If so, your fingernail is cleaner than mine right now. :eek:
That's actually my little toe. I have to use both hands for the camera so I put the nymph on my toe and lean in. I have unnaturally long toes so I use them a lot for holding mantids and other stuff like pealing bananas and brushing my teeth.

Just kidding. :D

Yeah, that's my index finger. I take a fair amount of photos and videos with my hands in them. I don't want to look all grubby so I try to keep them clean. Plus I hate to get my hands dirty. I'm not a germaphobe or anything (bring it on, germs!) but I wash my hands often.

Oh my gosh... for some reason the fingernail pic didn't impress their tininess upon me as much as the fruit fly pics. WOW.

More hatch photos...

OdumontiH_7067-sm.jpg

OdumontiH_7107-sm.jpg

OdumontiH_7119-sm.jpg

OdumontiH_7124-sm.jpg

OdumontiH_7137-sm.jpg

And some (grainy) pics from 5 days later, eating a small melanogaster fruit fly...

OdumontiL1_7281-sm.jpg

OdumontiL1_7286-sm.jpg

Latest posts