Pantry moth infestation

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sschind

Reaction score
I've been dealing with this problem for a quite a while now but i figured I ask to see if anyone else has dealt with it.

I raise a lot of mealworms and even though I am failing miserably I am also trying to raise superworms.  The problem, as the subject says, is that it has lead to an infestation of pantry moths.  I have lots of open bins of wheat bran because I can't seal them off because the humidity builds up from the fruits and veggies I feed.  Even if I do put lids on them they are not airtight and the moths can still get in.   I've been using pheromone traps and they work OK but they fill up quickly and I have also been swatting them (which means I will certainly have to repaint if I ever decide to move)

I am looking for airtight storage totes for the bulk bran (which I microwave after buying and before storing) as an initial step but that is only part of the problem.  The main hatches seem to come from the rearing bins.  My next thought is to get airtight containers (which would be expensive) and cover them with some sort of fine mesh that the would keep the moths out but how fine would I have to go on the mesh.  The larvae are so tiny upon hatching that I'm afraid unless I went with some very expensive micro fine mesh it wouldn't do much good and I don't know if they would chew through cloth mesh (like on the fruit fly lids) 

Back when I was doing more mantids I looked upon it as free food but now its just annoying.  So far they have been mostly contained in my spare bedroom as I keep the door closed at night when they are active but a few have escaped into the rest of the apartment (not as bad as the fungus gnats or phorid flies or whatever but still a minor nuisance)  

I'm not so concerned about eliminating them as I doubt that would be possible but just controlling them somewhat.  Like I said the pheromone traps work but it seems there are always enough males that will mate before getting stuck and they goo through boom and bust cycles.

Just thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any ideas

Hmm, it looks like your best options would be:

A. Go with the airtight container and put fabric (not mesh) on top to allow for ventilation

B. Get more mantids so they can eat the moths

Good luck!

- MantisGirl13

I think all you need to eliminate them is fresh substrate in sealing containers like the sterlite gasket bins or  5 gallon buckets.  Regular fine screen or mesh small enough to keep out the adult moths out is all thats needed. Maybe putting a trap in each one incase a few stray larvae make it in and pupate would help make sure they dont re-establish?

I think all you need to eliminate them is fresh substrate in sealing containers like the sterlite gasket bins or  5 gallon buckets.  Regular fine screen or mesh small enough to keep out the adult moths out is all thats needed. Maybe putting a trap in each one incase a few stray larvae make it in and pupate would help make sure they dont re-establish?
Thanks for the reply.  I have put my fresh substrate in a sterilite gasket bin but I will have to get another one or two when I buy another bag.  It seems to be working though.  So far no silk in the bin.  I've been resisting that option for the worm bins because at any given time I have about a dozen mealworm tubs going and buying new ones and putting in the necessary screen and ventilation will be a pain, not to mention expensive.  Plus I may have to readjust my worm cabinet depending on the size of the bins I can find.  Still, looks like my best option.  

I was really hoping that the mealworms would eat the eggs or the larvae but apparently they don't.

Depending on the size/number of bins and your set up you might find it is easier just to get a pop up net cage/structure and stick your bins in it rather than worrying about modifying all the bins themselves.

Depending on the size/number of bins and your set up you might find it is easier just to get a pop up net cage/structure and stick your bins in it rather than worrying about modifying all the bins themselves.
That's a thought.  I might be able to modify one of my wire racks.

My tiny Avicularia avicularia have been enjoying them though so its not all bad.  Its a lot harder to get them in the cups than when I had small mantids though.  When i take the lids off the spiders want ot make a run for it.

I think just keeping up on the traps will help a lot.

Yeah for larger racks in stuff you could even just get a full on mosquito net just to drape over your racks to help restrict their movements and keep the population boom under control. If you don't mind moths in your bug room but don't want to deal with them in the rest of the house you could just drape the netting over the door on the inside of the room. Keeps the bulk of the bugs in while being easy enough to walk through.

Yeah for larger racks in stuff you could even just get a full on mosquito net just to drape over your racks to help restrict their movements and keep the population boom under control. If you don't mind moths in your bug room but don't want to deal with them in the rest of the house you could just drape the netting over the door on the inside of the room. Keeps the bulk of the bugs in while being easy enough to walk through.
As far as keeping them in the room I need to open the door during the day when all the heat lamps kick on otherwise the entire room heat up to 90 degrees. I could put up some sort of screen door though.  luckily they don't move around much during the day so I don' think they get out much but I do see 1 or 2 throughout the apartment at least daily.

What kind of moths are they?
I'm pretty sure they are Indian meal moths Plodia interpunctella