Pesticide

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljmcawesome

Reaction score
Does anyone know if pesticide on a plant wheres off and how long it might take? I bought an Orchid recently and it is pesticided, and my mantises like to play on my plants, so I don't know whether I should just throw it away to be safe, or if after a while the pesticide affects will just wear off and be safe for the mantises.

Thanks!

Excellant question. Id like to know too. I get my plants at homedepot and have had no trouble. Same from the local grocery store. Why not get another and wait til your plant grows a new spike? That should be clean.

This would be a difficult question to answer without knowing the exact pesticide that was used. Even if you knew that information, I would air on the side of caution.

Technically, a pesticide starts to breakdown the moment it is used and will be ineffective at some point in time, but at what point I can't say. And to what degree will trace residue have a negative effect on your mantis?

I would wait a Month before letting your mantids climb on it. <- that is personal opinion and you need to decide what is right for you and your pets.

I would thouroughly rinse off the plant with water. If you didn't replant it yourself, I would dig up the top most layer of soil and add back a soil you know is pesticide free. Then I would give it a couple weeks for any residual pesticide to age out and air on the side of cauction. Many people have used store bought plants straight out of the shops without a problem, but every once and a while there is a fresh enough pesticide sprayed plant that it results in someone loosing their mantids because of it. For this reason I rather be safe than sorry.

Thank you all so much for your advice! I actually bought the plant form King Super's because they have such beautiful plants, I got a mini orchid specifically. But they also heavily pesticide them. I'll wait a while just to be safe and rinse it off too.

Thanks!

I did some research on this a while ago. Most pesticide wears off after 2 weeks. You can always ask the nursery where you're buying the plant from when it last has been sprayed. A good nursery will be able to tell you when they last sprayed and what they sprayed with.

Also, I tested my plants with crickets. Put a couple crickets in and see if you can keep them alive.

Always be careful with plants you purchase. Even if the retailer doesn't spray insecticides, you can't guarantee that the growers don't.

I recently purchased some Ceanothus from home depot to rear some Hyalophora euryalus and found the caterpillars dropping dead within hours of just touching the plant--they hadn't even started eating. This was a plant I'd sprayed down thoroughly with water and had been growing for a couple weeks already, so whatever they had used to spray must've been a pretty potent and long-lasting contact insecticide. Luckily I had only put a few caterpillars on it and the rest are doing fine on leaves from my plum and Ceanothus from a nearby parking lot.

Thank you all so much for your help with this!! I'll probably test it out with Crickets before I let my mantises close to it. You are all very helpful! :)

Latest posts