Phyllocrania paradoxa on a Cricket Diet

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkittishMale

Reaction score
I know that ghost mantids prefer to eat flying insects but will also take other small insects such a crickets. I am wondering if ghost mantids can be kept on a diet of crickets as a staple. Would this be okay for this species? The reason why I don't want to deal with flies (besides fruit flies) is because it wouldn't be cheap for me to have to order flies every month and I really don't want to raise flies and deal with maggots.

Also, I am very curious about egg production from a cricket-eating ghost mantid. I know that Violin Mantids (Gongylus gongylodes) cannot produce viable oothecae if fed crickets as a staple. How would ooths from cricket-eating ghosts turn out? Would they be viable or unviable?

I can't speak on the feeding of crickets exclusively, but flies are not expensive if you buy spikes or pupae. You certainly don't need to deal with the hassle of breeding your own flies as they are readily available.

I wouldn't recommend crix as a staple diet for any mantid, a varied diet is the best thing you can do for the mantid. Like Rick said, buy pupae or spikes and it is simple.. It's only like $5-12 dollars for 200-300 spikes or pupae

I would also like to add.. When I fed mantis religiosa mainly crickets, the ooths were significantly smaller than wild ooths, almost 1/3 of the size. And wild mantids have a varied diet. That leads me to think that crickets aren't very nutritional.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also like to add.. When I fed mantis religiosa mainly crickets, the ooths were significantly smaller than wild ooths, almost 1/3 of the size. And wild mantids have a varied diet. That leads me to think that crickets aren't very nutritional.
What were the crickets fed? before offering them to the mantis.

I want roaches but my parents don't like roaches

Extrememantid said:
You should probably start giving her other things such as flies, roaches, moths etc. Just incase a staple diet of crickets does infact decrease fertility and ooth size.

I raise Mantis religiosa on crickets as a staple and they produce large ooths but I noticed that not as many nymphs hatch compared to wild ones. Despite that, a lot of nymphs do still hatch from my ooths anyway, enough that I can keep the species going and be able to sell some.

I feed my crickets a wide variety of different food and I give mealworms and other insects as treats to the mantids as well. I do catch prey for them outside such as moths and crane flies that are attracted to my backyard lights at night and feed them to the mantids.

I give my crickets rabbit pellets, different kinds of leaf greens, pre-made cricket gutload, banana, apple, potato and oats.

I raised mantids exclusively on crickets for over a decade with no issues. Crickets are a fine food if taken care of.

Just be very careful about the source of your crickets. I read that people have better luck with crickets from cricket breeders vs, say, Petco or Petsmart. Make sure to keep your crickets for several days before feeding your mantids. Also, keep the cricket enclosure clean, avoid overcrowding, and remove waste/any sick-looking crickets.

Personally I would really go with flies. I had just lost my male ghost to bad crickets. Maybe it was just bad luck on my part. But I personally don't want to take the risk anymore.

Latest posts