Pics of my european mantis nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willburt

Reaction score
I noticed that everyone else is posting photos of thier mantids here. Although my European Mantids are pretty common, I like the two photos I've taken so I thought I would share them with you all.

nymph_eating.jpg

nymph_on_net.jpg

I have 5 L3 nymphs and at the moment they're being fed on fruit flys and pinhead crickets.

I've started to keep a diary as this is the first time I've kept mantids, take a look if you like http://www.hostis.co.uk/mantis-diary/, hopefully I will keep on writing in it as the mantids grow.

Feedback welcome.

Will.

wow nice little guys! :D did you hatch them of catch them from the wild? anyways good luck with them! :D i've always failed in breeding them.

Joe

Nice!! You may want to create a few more logs for different species in the future when you decided to have more mantis. All in all that's a great start! love it.

Would love to create a diary of my own if i can only find time to do it.

It looks like one of your nymphs is brown and the other green. Is that true? It's cool that you might be able to see color differences already! I hatched a European ooth almost 2 weeks ago. The nymphs seem very delicate, as it's been all I could do to keep them alive. Out of the 150 or so that hatched, I've got 26 left. They are due to molt to L2 any day now.

Keep up the journaling; I'll check it often, as I think it's very cool!

Rachel

I got them from eBay of all places. I've really wnated some for a while now, but couldn't find anywhere t get them from.

Eventually, I think I will end up with more species, I'm going to see how these go first, I really like the look of the spiny flower mantids, maybe I'll get some of those, we'll see if I can find them anywhere.

As for the green and brown mix, I don't really know what's happening there. The brown photo is of an L2 nymph, this was the day after I recieved them. The green one is an L3. It could be to due with the humidity of the containers they're being kept in. Since I got them I've been keeping the containers quite humid by wetting a piece of kitchen roll in with each mantid daily.

Mark

Latest posts