pill bugs/rolly pollies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Hemptress

Reaction score
ive been reading that some people use these as feeders. is this a good idea becasue those thing are beyond easy to find... does anyone else use these or have anything to say on the topic?

I've also heard of peeps feeding these but not sure if they're good feeders. As for finding them, they're everywhere in my backyard under bricks, leaf litter etc ...

ya just lift up a rock and youve got like 50 of them, (and all different sizes) so im really hoping to get some good feed back on this thread. pills bugs would just be too easy

Yes my mantids love them. I try to keep it to a limit though since I'm trying to get a culture started. Isopods are a great source of food and they'll clean the tank for you too.

Yes, they are good cleaners in roach colonies as well. Springtails too.

I've never tried feeding them to my mantids however. I assume you would probably have to hand them?

right now i dont have any mantids but as soon i recieve the ones im ordering from paradoxica ill have to see if they will eat them and or if they even like them

That's the best way to find out because different species are more picky than others.

Some mantids will eat almost anything and others are like my kids, super picky!!

I would be worried about feeding ground-dwelling detrivores that you've collected from the wild. The soil can contain a great many pathogens and because terrestrial isopods tend to eat detritus and decaying or dead material, they have an increased likelihood of encountering pathogens that have the potential to be deadly to mantids. For example, if an isopod were to eat some parasite eggs and you fed the isopod to your mantids, your mantids may be parasitized if the parasite is one that has the ability to survive inside it. If you decide to use terrestrial isopods, I would suggest culturing your own and feeding off their offspring rather than using wild caught individuals.

Not a normal food source since they remain hidden under litter. But if the mantis can eat them by all means use them. I would assume you would have to hand feed them or have a bare floor enclosure.

Just an observation from a previous experince:

I do not recomend having Porcellio leavis as cleaners for a mantid habitad, especially if they are numerous in your substrate.

If you mantid would venture to the ground during the evening,lights turned off, you might find a few remains of you mantid the next day. I keep them with Madagascars roaches, they will clean them out from mites and only eat those which are ill, dying, or dead.

I have heard that pill bugs aren't very nutritious because of their shells, but you could try them.

Speaking of isopods my cultures got babies in it :3 Cute little fellas.

Hw7rV.jpg

Hmmm.... could I place the rollie pollies in my meal worm farm to keep up with the frass? I have meal worms for my gliders but I have to refridgerate and give away a lot of mealies cause theres just too many and the frass drives me bonkers.

Latest posts