Pinhead Cricket , feeders?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Serle Yes, but it is much easier to just use fruit flies if they are available (I'm guessing though they are not).

Depending on the supplier of the pinhead crickets, some tend to call various sized crickets pinheads. Generally a true pinhead cricket comes in at 1-2mm in size which would be great for nymph feeders, if not a bit small at first. To put it into prospective a Melanogaster fruit fly is typically 2.5-3mm, and Hydei are 3.5-4mm (1/8") (sizes here).

The only really issue with pinhead crickets is they grow quickly and will be too large for nymphs soon, so you will need a fresh supply of pinheads for the proper size for the nymphs for awhile.

@Serle Yes, but it is much easier to just use fruit flies if they are available (I'm guessing though they are not).

Depending on the supplier of the pinhead crickets, some tend to call various sized crickets pinheads. Generally a true pinhead cricket comes in at 1-2mm in size which would be great for nymph feeders, if not a bit small at first. To put it into prospective a Melanogaster fruit fly is typically 2.5-3mm, and Hydei are 3.5-4mm (1/8") (sizes here).

The only really issue with pinhead crickets is they grow quickly and will be too large for nymphs soon, so you will need a fresh supply of pinheads for the proper size for the nymphs for awhile.
I have some challenges procuring D.Melanogaster's  therefore when a supply of P.H. Crickets came up it seemed a good option.  Thnkz for your information ... s

I have some challenges procuring D.Melanogaster's  therefore when a supply of P.H. Crickets came up it seemed a good option.  Thnkz for your information ... s
Indeed if fruit flies are a problem, then the pinhead crickets would likely be the best option. :)

If u get some fruit flies that are from Chuck at spiderpharm, you can keep the pupae in fridge and

sprinkle some each day into the enclosure they will hatch and supply them till they molt bigger.