Power feeding and Growing up quicker

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorcham427

Reaction score
Have any of you ever tried keeping the lights on longer hours? If by keeping the lights on longer hours throughout the day, with the day temp. remaining really hot, could our mantids be forced to eat and drink more, possibly grow even faster? More time with heat and food = forced molts???

When I bred crickets I would keep their day light on 24/7 so they would continue breeding and laying eggs. Basically, continue with their life cycle.

Not sure how this sounds, any input guys? gals?

This theory seems to hold true because I'm doing the same with some of my mantids. I pick a couple of each kind and just spoil them. I do notice that there are different results for different kinds of mantids. For example the Chinese Mantids that are being spoiled are up to 3 sheds ahead of the ones that are just being fed regularly and aren't being given any extra heat. Lineolas are about 2 sheds ahead, meanwhile my Lobata is really only one shed ahead of the ones that aren't really getting spoiled even though the one getting spoiled is being fed a LOT more and given heat 24/7.

This theory seems to hold true because I'm doing the same with some of my mantids. I pick a couple of each kind and just spoil them. I do notice that there are different results for different kinds of mantids. For example the Chinese Mantids that are being spoiled are up to 3 sheds ahead of the ones that are just being fed regularly and aren't being given any extra heat. Lineolas are about 2 sheds ahead, meanwhile my Lobata is really only one shed ahead of the ones that aren't really getting spoiled even though the one getting spoiled is being fed a LOT more and given heat 24/7.
But what about the light? Do mantis still eat at night? What species are nocturnal?

Yes, mantid eat at night. Recall how they're eyes adapt to night conditions. They are very active at night (one reason why the bat is a feared predator). Increasing the temperature and powerfeeding does seem to speed up the metabolism. However in my experience, the mantis always seems to die faster than normal, because it developed faster than normal. Not sure if actual light has any factor. Same with ooths, it's the heat, not really the sunlight.

But what about the light? Do mantis still eat at night? What species are nocturnal?
Inside my lobata and dessicata enclosure I let loose a ton of baby hissing cockroaches that tend to hide during the day and come out at night. At night when I'm laying in bed waiting for that special phone call from that special person that doesn't know I'm alive.. OK I'm just kidding.. but yeah, at night, I hear ruffling around and since they're not eating each other, i'm sure they're eating the roaches. I can't really say for the other mantises because I usually only put food in when I am watching to make sure they are eating and that's with the lights on. =)

Inside my lobata and dessicata enclosure I let loose a ton of baby hissing cockroaches that tend to hide during the day and come out at night. At night when I'm laying in bed waiting for that special phone call from that special person that doesn't know I'm alive.. OK I'm just kidding.. but yeah, at night, I hear ruffling around and since they're not eating each other, i'm sure they're eating the roaches. I can't really say for the other mantises because I usually only put food in when I am watching to make sure they are eating and that's with the lights on. =)
:lol: I hope I can make it to that piont, I watch them still, like I watch my daughter, "You need to eat what I give ya, before I take it away, and you get nothin'" :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a trick to this u speak of force growing.

Instead of light on longer, after 12hour light cycle, keep the temp the same for 5 hours.

Dont over myst ! Just take a q-tip and dip it in disteld water. The mantis will drink what it wants. "But u have to keep trying"

Faten your feeders ! I know it is expensive, but its worth it ! Get Powder Baby formula "Symalak" On the back lists every thing you need. You can skip the 100 ingredient mix for now on !

Feed ur flies/crickets a banana chunk.. then powder them and feed to ur mantis.

Feeding cycle. Well, when they hatch from the ooth.. i feed them fruit flies, all you can eat. weening them off the 5 fruit flies to 1 house fly is easy, just rip off the wings and the front legs. In most cases that fly will die b4 getten eaten, so repeat till it eats 1. "If the mantis is a lil scared runner, wait another few days, or try a house fly that just hatched.

After they are on house flies. Just leave 1 with damaged wings for about 6 days. After 6 days u dont wanna risk leaving the fly in wile its close to molting. Then you will have to feed and watch. Then go the same to ween to blue bottle flies. When they get to blue bottle flies, start tring to feed them a lil banana or grape on a tooth pick every day b4 you turn on the light n heat. You want to feed them at the start of the day light so they can take that heat and digest quicker, just like a lizard with a heating rock. Then before you turn out the light. Try the q-tip diped in disteled water or the grape chunk on a tooth. so the mantis can use that to flush the food out for the next cycle.

Add more insects to the diet. Theres tons of healthy insects to feed after they are L4/L5. "NEVER FEED OUTSIDE CAPTURED INSECTS !"

Before Molting. They will stop eating 1 or 2 days b4 molting. In replace of food for them days use q-tip disteld water or grape on a toothpick.

Feed them other mantids... usualy the mis-molts. Also, if ur female eats the male during mate, she has a great chance for a over sized ooth layings.

My Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii layed an ooth 4 inches long and was really thick... 3x as long as 1 i ever bought off the forums.

Anyway, this is all time consuming, and u have to remember, like a cars motor with turbos or a computers CPU with over clocking, it will be short lived !