Praying mantis mating dance??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pskee321

Reaction score
Does praying mantis perform mating dance to attract female? I came across this video about the male praying mantis doing some weird movements before the female mantis. Is that really a gesture of courtship? The male looked quite cute doing that. And they end up mating though.. does anybody have any experience? 

youtu.be/BUXx46spnC4

Last edited by a moderator:
The demonstrated behavior appears to be more of an effort to avoid detection from the female against an artificial/slick plastic surface within a confined container (this would not like be observed in the wild).  If you notice, the male is not advancing or staying in one place but rather trying to skirt out of the female's view to later approach her from behind.  The other movements appear involuntary as the male maintains focus upon the female while at the same time tries to leave her viewing field. 

Some species definitely do, in particular, Oxypilinae and Ameles have quite elaborate mating dance, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn5MzXQeKT8

And I wouldn't 100% exclude that in the case of Odontomantis shown, given that we have basically a quick glance on the male approaching female.

Although even in these cases it's a recognition rather than attraction courtship, so that the female wouldn't perceive the male as prey. The attraction itself is done by releasing pheromones, as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see.. pretty insightful. The mantis seem to be stepping it's hind legs in a rhythmic manner which is something I've never seen in any other mantis species before. 

Latest posts