Pregnant Female questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex 1

Reaction score
Okay, so my female d. dessicata has been an adult for at least 3 months, and mated 3 times by 2 different males. It's been at least 2 months since the matings and still no ooths. Should I be worried? Since becoming an adult, it's been very sluggish and moves very little. It seems it only moves to get into a more comfortable position. Even with catching prey the most it will do is turn it's body and maybe reposition a leg or two. It no longer chases. I know it's really heavy with eggs and food, but it seems too inactive. Also, it's worth mentioning that her 2 forearms are a little warped to the side from a bad final molt. She can still use them but misses fairly often. Mainly, I'm worried I won't get an ooth possibly due to improper nutrition. I mainly feed it just b lateralis and dubia roaches, plus crickets whenever I find them. A month or so back I gave it a lot of dragonflies, but they're gone by now. I just got some fly pupae, hopefully she can catch them. Anyone ever had problems from a lack of food variety? What could be taking it so long?

Don't worry about it. You're feeding sounds fine. If you keep your own feeder food then feed them a good diet and it will pass to the mantis. I suspect you will get an ooth any day now.