Pressure treated wood Toxic or safe?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadinexile

Reaction score
My first thread yeah! *Note* I did my best searching for equivalent information on here without finding any. If I bobbled search, I apologize. I also looked at every title within housing, without reading every post, and did not see this either.

Also, I am experienced with keeping humidity sensitive inverts, and have taken classes on heating, venting, and air conditioning or HVAC. I understand the problems and concepts involved. I am also aware of mesh and fruit fly "issues". :)

I will be building some net cubes in the future. I am trying to plan ahead for numerous and obvious reasons. I will be living in New Orleans by the time, or shortly after getting my first mantis'. New Orleans is humid. I also understand that there will be some to a lot of misting involved regardless. So I believe now that raw, or untreated wood will not work under these conditions. Rot would come sooner than later. That leaves treated wood as the only option I believe. However, pressure treated wood is somewhat toxic, even to us humans! I would assume toxicity would be multiplied in such small insects.

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding toxicity of treated wood on Mantis'? If not, does anyone have any guesses? Has anyone had any unexplained die offs in a treated wood cage? Am I blowing this way out of proportion?

I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question. It very well could be. Nevertheless, I want to use "best practices", and I care about all life. I would hate to kill off anything. I even take wild roaches back outside alive!

Please keep responses to relevant information. I am aware of the need for a feeder hole. Yes, and yes, and yes. I get it. I'm reading a lot on here, and will be reading more daily for a month (s) before getting mantis or building cube. I have read about tape and staples, glues and hinges, etc, etc. My only question right now is on treated wood toxicity!

Thanks in advance! ~ryan

I don't think many of us use cages with wood frames. You can purchase quality net cages for pretty low prices. My advice would be to just not risk it. If you're worried about the wood rotting, you can prime and paint it.

I don't think many of us use cages with wood frames. You can purchase quality net cages for pretty low prices. My advice would be to just not risk it. If you're worried about the wood rotting, you can prime and paint it.
I want to make a display quality cage, because well, I would want to display them. :) All the net cages I see that don't have wood frames don't look nice. They might work well, but they don't look good. I want something that looks nice, like the mantis'. :)

Why don't many people use wood framed cages?

The painted cages sound like a good idea. Do you think I could use a clear coat sealant if I use nice wood?

Thanks for the help rick! ~r

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people do not have the capabilities of making wood cages and a lot of insect people live in apts and they don't have the room or the place to make them. Thats what I think , anyway. Plus sometimes the frass becomes a bit messy, as in all over if runny and we like to wash things out. But to each his own, but because treated wood does leak fluids it is best not to use it, either use safe paint on another type of just go with hardwood, as it will not rot as easily and last longer.

A lot of people do not have the capabilities of making wood cages and a lot of insect people live in apts and they don't have the room or the place to make them. Thats what I think , anyway. Plus sometimes the frass becomes a bit messy, as in all over if runny and we like to wash things out. But to each his own, but because treated wood does leak fluids it is best not to use it, either use safe paint on another type of just go with hardwood, as it will not rot as easily and last longer.
Thanks for the reply! :)

Well that makes sense. I may be living in an apartment in Nola (New Orleans), but I can work with 1"x1"'s or 2"x2"'s out on the sidewalk or anywhere else for that matter! :)

Frass- I had to look that up! Yeah, I will be washing that out too. I have a lot of friends of the very clean and prissy persuasion in Nola, and they wouldn't want to see frass all over the place! That wouldn't make a nice display would it? :)

Is safe paint a type or brand of paint? Or do you just mean non-toxic? Hardwood would still need to be sealed or painted. I wonder if there is a clear non-toxic sealant? hmmmmm. Good work. You got the wheels spinning!

Thank you. ~r

btw, the only wood I know of that wouldn't need sealed is Cedar. But that causes allergies and is kinda smelly itself. If anyone knows any rot-resistant wood that is "clean", please share!

I have six cages that I built out of pressure-treated, commercial wood. So far nothing has died besides flies from the mantids :p . I don't really think there are any detrimental effects, and I suppose if the mantids are still alive that somewhat proves it. However, I could be very wrong.

-Err, disregard this. I thought it was pressure treated, but I was way off.

Most paint that is oil based should be ok, but ask at your paint store, I would imagine an outside paint would be ok, but they can advise better, and a good laquer would prob be ok for the hardwood. But to be safe just ask. You don't want to use something that bleeds. Plus, u must remember that a lot of us have big nets and run around outside trying to catch things most people can't see, I don't think it is wise Idea for us to be cutting wood on the pavement too
tt2.gif
Unless of course we have a lookout!

Paint should be fine once it is dried. Maybe try an outdoor paint since it will be exposed to heat and moisture. I used regular wood for my outdoor box turtle enclosure. I primed and painted the wood. So far in two years it has held up.

It is treated with chemcials used to prevent feeding by wood boring insects. It would be completely harmless to mantids (though maybe not to you as you may absorb some arsenic or chromium through your skin during normal handling and inhale bits of sawdust during construction of your cages).

Thanks everyone! I've got some good stuff to chew on with this now. Currently, considering responses, I think I am going to try and find out about sealants, and either seal or paint untreated wood or just use a rot resistant wood. Its going to be a while, but as soon as I have one done, you will all be the first to see it! Thanks again!!! ~ryan

Thanks everyone! I've got some good stuff to chew on with this now. Currently, considering responses, I think I am going to try and find out about sealants, and either seal or paint untreated wood or just use a rot resistant wood. Its going to be a while, but as soon as I have one done, you will all be the first to see it! Thanks again!!! ~ryan
If you wanted to keep the look of the original wood I would think a clear non-tinted polyurethane would be good to use. It can be glossy or matte finish depending on yuor choice. Once it's dry it would be non-toxic and would look great. If it works on hardwood floors in my kitchen I would think it would work well for your cages.

Just my $.02.

Mikey

Latest posts