Product report, Bugnapper

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I bought this over the weekend and it came yesterday. It is very easy to set up. It weighs very little too.

It comes with 2extra funnels, one smaller than the next. the collecting cup is a good large size. I found 6 moths in it at 2:30 am. The season here is alittle slow but the moths are good medium size.

I highly recommend this to all. Bioquip has the lowest price I have seen. Ebay and amazon charge more.

I put my 5.0 (18 inch UV full spectrum white bulb) in a Styrofoam cooler every night and prop it up against the wall of my house. Bugs drop in for a few hours and then I pop the lid on the cooler before I go to bed. Lots of things do land in the periphery but they are easy seen on the house. I'd like to drop one of those bugnappers down on the trail behind my house though.

Last night I caught a sawfly at my light. I will be going off to a guy who does DNA barcoding on them and a few other things I'm collecting. This determines whether they are new species vs. how related they are to other populations of known species.

Sticky--will a Saturniid be able to work its way into that trap or are the entry holes too small?

http://www.bioquip.com/Search/DispProduct.asp?pid=2884

The outer housing on the product looks very smooth. I wonder if gluing some textured materials onto the unit would allow more insects to land and then crawl in. It seems many beetles would hit the smooth walls and bounce off, for example.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter, a small saturniid could squeeze through but not the large ones. I think they would cling to the outside of it. I found small moths on the outside and on the wall it was set up near.

I put my 5.0 (18 inch UV full spectrum white bulb) in a Styrofoam cooler every night and prop it up against the wall of my house. Bugs drop in for a few hours and then I pop the lid on the cooler before I go to bed. Lots of things do land in the periphery but they are easy seen on the house. I'd like to drop one of those bugnappers down on the trail behind my house though.

Last night I caught a sawfly at my light. I will be going off to a guy who does DNA barcoding on them and a few other things I'm collecting. This determines whether they are new species vs. how related they are to other populations of known species.

Sticky--will a Saturniid be able to work its way into that trap or are the entry holes too small?

http://www.bioquip.com/Search/DispProduct.asp?pid=2884

The outer housing on the product looks very smooth. I wonder if gluing some textured materials onto the unit would allow more insects to land and then crawl in. It seems many beetles would hit the smooth walls and bounce off, for example.

Thanks for posting!
peter we have the same idea, i find that uvb bulbs 5.0 work best cause they have that blue tint to them. I have seen some very odd insects at night, some i think may not even be identified yet, lol. although i live in the woods and i have a good idea they are living high in the trees cause i only see them around the light.

I am going to keep my eye open if these go on sale somewhere. It looks like it would be fun.

I do leave my porch light on sometimes to catch night insects. The only problem is almost every time I do either our resident frog or our other amphibian friend, Mister Toad show up right beneath the light on the little foot stool that is set beneath and start scarfing down all the goodies as they appear.

I love frogs and toads! They are magic sometimes. I have a peeper on my little patio. I go out and say hi every night. I cant set up a bright light like I did on my own property. My neighbors would complain. The bugnapper light has a soft glow to it.

Latest posts