Question about Idolo Feeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutch2828

Reaction score
Just a general question. I got my first idolo as a gift from yen a few months ago and I noticed he seems to digest his food slower than my other species. My chinese and Creos all seem to eat, get fat, and then by the next day or two they have gotten much skinnier. But the Idolo seems to stay fat for a while and not eat as often.

Just wondering if this is a normal characteristic of Idolos or if this is something to look into further.

Thanks

All I could say is Idolo like to run hot so if the enclosure isn't above 85 or so they will metabolize food slower than some species.

My idolo is the opposite, and she is at 80 by day and mid 60s at night, she eats a few flies and 2-4 days later she's real thin :eek:

And she also is a picky eater :(

I have a strange idolo but I love her!!! Good luck with yours ;)

I do have a heat lamp and usually hes kept at 80s or higher in the day and not lower than 65-70 at night. Maybe I'll try to up that a little bit. Also there could be the possibility that he's close to molting. I think both times that i've had food to feed him as much as he wants, he's been close to shedding. That may be the reason he seems to not eat as much to me lol

I do have a heat lamp and usually hes kept at 80s or higher in the day and not lower than 65-70 at night. Maybe I'll try to up that a little bit. Also there could be the possibility that he's close to molting. I think both times that i've had food to feed him as much as he wants, he's been close to shedding. That may be the reason he seems to not eat as much to me lol
If he is close to molting, just keep the humidity high. If he doesn't molt soon and still won't eat change up the diet as much as possible. Offer like 10 different things and see if he takes one. (one of my mantids didnt eat a roach for like 2-3 days so I gave it a meal worm, it ate 2 of them)

My idolo is the opposite, and she is at 80 by day and mid 60s at night, she eats a few flies and 2-4 days later she's real thin :eek:

And she also is a picky eater :(

I have a strange idolo but I love her!!! Good luck with yours ;)
What sort of cage do you use?

I like all glass with a screen top lid, like the overpriced ExoTerra!!

I had carefully hot glues dozens of little sticks over a piece of carpet liner on the lid, but the

heat from the light hood (which I had put directly on the lid) melted some of the hot glue

and the sticks fell!! LOL!!

I had to do a fast repair, and elevate the light hood off the top surface and put a small bettery

op fan on it. Even though, I only have 2 25W bulbs in there!!

I know they will not eat if they are cold, for me, 85 to 90 seems to be perfect with a RH of 60%

I keep my Idolos at 90 -95 degrees during the day and raise my light from the top so temp drops down to 85 degrees during night. They seem to be skinny again the next day after eating. I dont regulate humidity as much. I just mist them 2 -3 times a day. The heat lamp seems to dry it out pretty quick. Haven't had any molting issues with these guys so far. Switching up the diet may help as well. I feed them mostly flies, but try to switch it up every so often with insects from outside, waxworms, or even a cricket. If it's butt is fat and it's not eating I usually take it as a sign that there is a molt about to happen.