Question on Feeding Moths to Gravid Female Ghosts

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FeistyMcGrudle

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Another noob question, and predicament. So if you follow any of my other posts, you may have known that I went out of town for a bit and had to leave my mantises alone. I eclosed probably 50 Blue Bottles as well as dumped a bunch of pupae in each enclosure to allow ample food while I was gone. It went great--all my mantises were alive and happy (some even molted!). However, upon returning, I must have kept the pupae in the fridge too long because the rest of the pupae I had left that I was going to eclose when I got back were mostly dead and didn't hatch. Now I am stuck with no BB's for my crew, and waiting for more BB's to show up on Wednesday, and my mantises are getting pretty hungry. During the interim, I have been catching wild moths and my mantises seem to go crazy for them (they're big too, probably 1/2 size of my biggest female ghost or equivalent to 5-6 BB's). However, my two adult females are both gravid and I have read horror stories of feeding crickets and other random feeders to them and it causes all types of issues. My question for you today is this:

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with feeding adult females anything besides Blue Bottles?

Wild most were the only thing I fed my gravid ghosts last summer and they laid huge ooths and loved nice long lives. I don't even usually feed blue bottles to my ghosts, they usually eat roaches and wild moths.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts