Quick ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantisking

Reaction score
This may sound dumb But am really new to Mantises, ummm Can you feed Mantises black ants? The mantises I have are still little ones =D. Please let me no just real curious I feed my Mantises Fruit Flys but just always wanted to no this thanks

From what I've learnt about feeding mantids ants, you should only feed it one at a time as they could possibly swarm and kill your mantids...

I presume the toxins in ants can be harmful. So it's best to stick to other foods. ( NOT ANTS :lol: )

Don't feed your mantis ants.

I had a chinese nymph that caught a straggler ant one time when I put the nymph out on the countertop. I made it let go of the ant, but the damage was done - the nymph smelled weird and kept grooming, and died a few hours later.

There are toxic ants and non-toxic ones, but it's hard to tell the difference. Better safe than sorry. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen wild nymphs eating ants before, so it probably depends on the species. Best not to risk it unless you are extremely desperate.

Latest posts