Rabbit food?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has experience with feeding rabbit food to your feeder insects?  I started feeding rabbit food and bee pollen to my dubias and it seems like all is well, but I was just curious if anyone has experience with it.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thank you.

I’ve never thought about using rabbit food. I’ve read about using chicken pellets, but a lot of people seem to be against it. 

Honeatly, I don’t see the harm in it, just make sure to mix in some fresh fruits/veggies every now and then. The only issue I can think of with the rabbit food is the protein content, which is pretty high. Dubias cant eat too much protein, or they produce an abundance of uric acid, which can kill a large percentage of the population. It can also cause liver/kidney (can’t remember which one ?) issues in reptiles that eat the roaches fed on a high protein diet. 

Heres a link to a page that has a lot more really good info on the topic. I used this website a lot to research dubias before I got into them. 

https://dubiaroachdepot.com/guidance/dubia-roaches-dietary-protein

I feed mine a mix of oats, dried apples, raisins, and a few other assorted nuts and barley. I also buy a sweet potato, or a broccoli every now and then, and they really like it