Raising Maggots

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashikaze

Reaction score
Hey I just picked up some fly maggots from a bait shop by my house. They seem to be fairly developed and a few are starting to pupate (sorry if this isn't the appropriate verb). This is the first time ive kept mantids in a while and last time i did i fed them crickets but since theres that virus going around flies seemed like the best alternative. So anyways, just wondering a few things.

a) do i need to be feeding the maggots moist dog food mix at this point or are they ok to pupate without food by now?

b)How long does it generally take for the pupae to hatch?

c) Once they turn into flies what should I be feeding them?

any advice would be apreciated.

NO, they are able to just pupae as u said, when done u can keep in fridge for a good three weeks, taking out what u want to hatch each day. 8 days from maggot to fly, at day 4 put in fridge and this will hold them till u want to hatch them, then give them a few days lead time to hatch as they have to finish the 8 day course. feed them dry milk and powdered sugar and they need a drink too.

I've had most of my flies pupae turn into full fledged flies because I held the container out at room temperature for too long, then I stuck the container with the flies back into the fridge for another 48 hours and the flies were still alive, albeit a bit groggy, and eaten by mantises two days later. I also don't feed the flies anything. So is this shortcut seriously wrong? or just kinda wrong?

Why go through the extra effort?

NO, they are able to just pupae as u said, when done u can keep in fridge for a good three weeks, taking out what u want to hatch each day. 8 days from maggot to fly, at day 4 put in fridge and this will hold them till u want to hatch them, then give them a few days lead time to hatch as they have to finish the 8 day course. feed them dry milk and powdered sugar and they need a drink too.

They will keep for a good few days in fridge without food, b ut some people like to keep them at room temp and feed till they need them, either way is ok, the flies may be fatter or healthier when fed, but mine do not last that long so I really can't say.

You can try the process that Brian A. uses by spraying the flies with a very fine spray and then dusting them lightly with the bee pollen or other mixes that are sold by Rebecca and others. This of course is before they are fed to your mantids.

Latest posts