Rearer's Lounge

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, the reason I'm calling this topic "Rearer's Longe" is because we will be talking about many different species here. I am not trying to be annoying or anything. I had an idea that would help us all interact and learn how other people keep different species. I hope this topic will also become a great reference for newbies. Here's how this topic will work.

1. Someone names a species of mantis they have kept.

2. The person who names the species tells us how they take care of it (what type of caging, temp, humidity, breeding methods, etc).

3. Everyone that has kept the species named, a species in the same genus, or has a species they keep in a way similar to the species named posts how they take care of it.

4. We all share our opinions on other people's methods of keeping this species (you can say like, "I'll have to try that", "good idea", "bad idea", "tried that way didn't work"). We can also ask questions if we want to.

5. Someone else names another species, and we repeat.

Few things to mention:

Nobody is wrong here. If you have a rearing method that works for you, name it here. Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome. If you want to learn about how others keep a species you have not yet kept or have kept but have only had that species for a short time (under 3 months or so), please just request it, like "Hey I was wondering how some people keep..." Please use scientific names and common names are optional.

I'll start.

Jeweled Flower Mantis, Creobroter gemmatus

temp=70-86 degrees farenhiet (86 is when a heat lamp is on)

humidity= 50-65%

caging=all males in a net cage, females in containers similar to those meat market containers I mentioned before

breeding=sexable at L3. receptive about 16 days after becoming adult, I often reintroduce pair to ensure successful mating as all my females mated twice before the first ooth

feeding=everyday for nymphs, eats small crickets at L4, every few days for adult males, everyday for adult females

health issues=prone to mismolt at early age, prone to constipation

any questions?

We already have a functioning forum in the "Breeding and Nymph Care" area here to discuss the topics that you are suggesting.

While I agree that it would be nice to have everyone contributing such detailed information, you need to realize that there are different levels of interest, detail of data recording, accuracy of info, and ability to stay on topic in any group like this which would render a single thread like you are proposing...essentially useless.

In a nutshell: it's not going to happen. It's easier to have a singular thread dedicated to any individual species or specific issue within the proper forum. A 'master' thread such as this would just get too cumbersome.

We already have a functioning forum in the "Breeding and Nymph Care" area here to discuss the topics that you are suggesting.While I agree that it would be nice to have everyone contributing such detailed information, you need to realize that there are different levels of interest, detail of data recording, accuracy of info, and ability to stay on topic in any group like this which would render a single thread like you are proposing...essentially useless.

In a nutshell: it's not going to happen. It's easier to have a singular thread dedicated to any individual species or specific issue within the proper forum. A 'master' thread such as this would just get too cumbersome.
good point. me and my ideas :rolleyes:

Yep, an interesting idea, but as Kamakiri says,I fear that it would flounder in practice No harm in putting such an entry in "Breeding and Nymph care", though.

Since you mention the meat containers again, I ask you for their measurments, particularly fro the top of the substrate to the inside of the lid.

Thanks!

Yep, an interesting idea, but as Kamakiri says,I fear that it would flounder in practice No harm in putting such an entry in "Breeding and Nymph care", though.Since you mention the meat containers again, I ask you for their measurments, particularly fro the top of the substrate to the inside of the lid.

Thanks!
okay. the containers are about 7 inches long, 4 inches wide, about 2 inches tall and the lid adds about an inch more height. so in all the container, with the lid on, has a volume of 84 in cubed (anyone know how to put a superscript 3 above the in instaed of me saying cubed?) the measurements were taken from an empty container. I usually have a moist, folded paper towel on the bottom and excelsior or a few fake plant pieces to liven it up a little. I usually have only the paper towel in around the time of the final molt, and mantids such as Creobroter can molt for the last time in those containers without a problem

Last edited by a moderator: