RED WIDOW

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExoticOddities

Reaction score
redwidow.jpg

redwidow3.jpg

redwidow2.jpg

I know this isn't exactly "nature photography," LOL, but I just captured this Red Widow today while hunting for another spider species, so I put up a couple of stacked photos to show how beautiful it is.

The Red Widow (Latrodectus bishopi) is an equally-venomous cousin to the Black Widow (Latrodectus mactans), but it is far more beautiful and very rare. They are found only within palmetto fronds in the Ocala National Forest, in Florida.

Hope you enjoy its beauty, even if it is not a nature shot (you can't see them in nature because they wrap themselves up within palm fronds).

Jack

oh wow... i can't help thinking it would make a GREAT boss for a classic arcade game. Arms stretched to meet you, a whole egg-sac full of miniature selves...

Here is another, more natural shot of this venomous beauty :lol:

redwidow4.jpg
Red Widow (Latrodectus bishopi)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro Lens

1/20 | f/10 | ISO 320

Natural Light | Tripod | Remote Switch

Got this image of her today, in natural light under cloud cover, using a 2-image stack done by hand.

Jack

Are you going to hatch out the sac? Bugs are all beautiful, but photos often show us things we can't see with our eyes. Good photos, that is, and yours are GREAT!

Thanks for highlighting an unusual US species! Do they occur outside the US, on any of the islands to the South?

Does anybody know what purpose those two concave recesses on top of the abdomen serve? I might never have noticed them, but now that I think about it I do recall seeing them in other spiders before.

(P.s. Your assassin offerings in the classifieds section are a REALLY special offering to the hobby! Too cool!)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome Ryan, I am glad you enjoyed them :)

Are you going to hatch out the sac?
I haven't made up my mind on that yet, Peter. I may just return her where I found her, as I visit Ocala rather frequently. Not sure I want hundreds of Red Widows about the place, LOL, but I am also interested in developing a breeding colony for myself :D

Bugs are all beautiful, but photos often show us things we can't see with our eyes. Good photos, that is, and yours are GREAT!

Thanks for highlighting an unusual US species!
You are welcome for the photos, I hope everyone enjoys them, and thank you for your compliments as well. I have invested heavily into macro-photography gear for the very reason you mention: such photography equipment allows us to enjoy the beauty of the smaller creatures of our world in such a way that our naked eyes won't allow us to see :)

Do they occur outside the US, on any of the islands to the South?
To the best of my knowledge, Red Widows exist nowhere else besides the State of Florida ... and, even within the state, they are only found in certain areas within Florida that have the particular sand pine scrub microhabitat. In fact, I wrote a blog post 3 months ago on the uniqueness of The Ocala National Forest, in that it is home to at least 40 species of plant, 4 species of vertebrate, and at least 46 species of arthropod that are found nowhere else in the world but there. Check it out when you have a free moment, as you might find it interesting!

Does anybody know what purpose those two concave recesses on top of the abdomen serve? I might never have noticed them, but now that I think about it I do recall seeing them in other spiders before.
Interesting question, Peter, I will ask Dr. Edwards and see if there is a functional answer to this ...

(P.s. Your assassin offerings in the classifieds section are a REALLY special offering to the hobby! Too cool!)
Thank you very much for your kind words!

I just found 3 new species, but haven't identified them yet, but when I do I will post more photos :)

Cheers!

Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, great blog too! Florida is on my list of interesting bug destinations to spend some serious time in (but not until I retire in about 15 years). I wasn't aware there was a dry, desert island in the middle of the Florida.

Pretty spider! Sucks that some of the prettiest spiders can put you in the ER. Also really cool that so many cool arthropod species are native only to certain small parts of the world.

Peter, rumors of Latrodectus toxin have been greatly exaggerated. Modern medical care has reduced the risks of keeping these significantly, barring systemic allergic reaction. Even so, L. bishopi is believed to be one of the "least" venomous, followed by L. geometricus with its primarily arthropod targeted venom, with L. hesperus and L. mactans being the more/most venomous US species.

Nice spiders, ExoticOddities, you people down in Florida are lucky, not having the problems the rest of us have with stale genetics becoming a problem. :) Good luck with the spiderlings!

Peter, rumors of Latrodectus toxin have been greatly exaggerated. Modern medical care has reduced the risks of keeping these significantly, barring systemic allergic reaction. Even so, L. bishopi is believed to be one of the "least" venomous, followed by L. geometricus with its primarily arthropod targeted venom, with L. hesperus and L. mactans being the more/most venomous US species.

Nice spiders, ExoticOddities, you people down in Florida are lucky, not having the problems the rest of us have with stale genetics becoming a problem. :) Good luck with the spiderlings!
Thank you, What, for your comments.

However, I believe you are mistaken about the toxicity of Red Widow venom.

The Red Widow's venom is not "weaker" in toxicity to the Black Widow; rather, it is quite similar in toxicity to Black Widow venom.

Jack