Repashy Grub Pie for a Mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eak

Reaction score
Has anyone tried feeding Repashy Grub Pie to a mantis? It is intended to be a full replacement for live feeder insects. Repashy has some literature out suggesting it can be fed to insectivorous invertebrates such as mantids. I was thinking of trying to offer it to my ghost mantis after he outgrows fruit flies, especially if I have bad luck hatching fly pupae for him.

Here is the ingredient list from their website. Thanks.

https://www.store.repashy.com/grub-pie-reptile-3-oz-jar.html

INGREDIENTS: Insect Meal, Dried Seaweed Meal, Coconut Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Brewers Yeast, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Locust Bean Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Citrate, Salt, Taurine, Watermelon, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 40%, Crude Fat min. 12%, Crude Fiber max. 15%, Moisture max. 10%, Ash max. 12%, Calcium min. 1.5%.

@eak Nope, I haven't heard of anyone trying it with mantids directly and sorry to say will most likely be a waste of money.

Mantids require live moving prey to stimulate their feeding response. A dish of dead ground up insects(?) (insect meal) would be ignored by any mantid that I have kept, even if I tried to entice them into eating it as strips shaking it around to get their attention. Heck, even freshly killed insects often are ignored by most mantids - let alone processed insects in gel...

Crickets on the other hand seem to love the stuff, but being scavenging omnivores that is to be expected. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Thomas , all my mantids require the stimulation of movement to hunt and eat.  They ignore most feeders if they seem dead or immobile  Besides where is the enjoyment feeding canned food , might as well have a cat......... S