Rhombodera sp. (Malaysian Giant Shield Mantid) mating sequence

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr nick

Reaction score
Hi all

These pics were taken approximately 4 months ago when I matured a pair of said species, with a Nikon D40 SLR with standard 18-55 mm lens (I now own a D80) and a lot of patience. Sadly I fell asleep and the female ate the male, and so far has produced 6 fertile ootheca resulting in many young.

This is one of the most interesting and impressive of the larger Mantid species that I have kept, and would urge anybody to track some down and give them a go.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

sm2_1.jpg

Sub-adult male nymph

sm2_2.jpg

Male on approach to female

sm2_3.jpg

Rear view of copulation

sm2_4.jpg

During copulation, female had eaten full grown locust and was still hungry!

sm2_5.jpg

Close-up of sexual parts

sm2_6.jpg

sm2_7.jpg

Close-up head detail showing size of shields. Male left, female right

As stated previously, the female during copulation ate a huge fully grown adult locust and still managed to polish off the male and leave just a small part of the two front legs left!

Last edited by a moderator:
And we have an image! Very nice pics. Stunning species as well. At least you got some good ooths, and the male didn't give his life for nothing :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see others breeding this species !!! :lol:

Are these the ones you got from me ages ago ?

A question for you, how long had the female been mature when you paired them up ?

Good to see others breeding this species !!! :lol: Are these the ones you got from me ages ago ?

A question for you, how long had the female been mature when you paired them up ?
hi rob,sadly no,i picked these up from someone on ebay of all places,only managed to get two so i dropped lucky to get both sexes really...i matured the female for 6wks before mating and fed her predominantly on pollen feeding insects and adult locusts fed on vegetable matter. She is approximately 100mm long and aggressive!