Saggy bottom...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmina

Reaction score
One of my T. Sinesis has a saggy bottom ... Has this happened to anyone else? Is he sick? He eats well, moving around fine. When he is on the side of the container, it looks normal???

Here is a pic:

Then I also have another mantis problem a S. Carolina, while molting she had the exo skin stuck to her feet after about 1/2 hour of her moving around with it, I took it off ... but now her 2 back legs are stiff... Did I do something wrong? Will it correct itself next molt? Can I help correct this? Do you think it is going to cause a problem breeding?

Here is a couple pics:

Knock on wood... but I have been pretty lucky so far with all my molts... I need to know, what is going on now? ... If this just happens, or if I am doing something wrong??

Thanks in advance

I've had a T. sinensis with the same floppy abdomen problem. I laid his container on its side so he couldn't hang upside down and make the problem worse. After a few days to a week keeping the abdomen straight, it should be strong enough to not flop over. As for the Carolina, it looks like she wasn't able to get her legs out easily. A molt or two, if she's young enough, can sometimes fix that problem.

yeah your Carolina should straighten out in a few molts, with any luck by adulthood it wont be noticeable.

as for the tenodera Sinensis, just keep feeding it normally, I had one that also did that... Granted not for long periods of time.... But nonetheless I seen it happen, i didn't notice any behavior changes or health issues.... It kinda seemed to work its own way.. But mine had previously molted the day beforehand.

I had the same problem as your Carolina. My problem was that she molted to close to the bottom of the cage. First, part of her leg fell off, then it almost grew totally back after 2 molts. She is adult and ok now, but I am not breeding her because she is extra small and not 100%.

I hope she is ok!