Set-up Ghost Mantis Community Tank

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking

Reaction score
I want to use a ten gallon tank with coconut fiber substrate. I would like a clean up crew of isopods. I have Dalmation, dwarf white, and P. pruinosus 'White Out'. I assume the springtail would need too high of humidity. I have oak leaves or maples in the yard. What flaws are in the idea? Is there another species that would be better? There is no hurry. I have weeks before setting this up. Most are L3 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flaws in your idea are:

The nymphs would have a very hard time finding their food,

If they cannot find their food they will resort to cannibalism, and you would end up with one mantis after a while.

Ghosts are still prone to cannibalism, whether or not they are fed, especially if a sibling is molting or weak.

Otherwise, it sounds like a cool idea!

- MantisGirl13

I have six in a 32 oz. container. They have all molted to L3. They do bicker. They are hungry and I keep fruit flies in their most of the time.

Ok. Six L3s in a 32oz deli cup is not a great idea. Pretty soon they'll outgrow fruit flies, then what will you do? House flies are expensive when it comes to shipping! I'd suggest separating them or at least getting a larger container.

- MantisGirl13

I've kept 3 L4s up to adults together in a 15 gal viv before. They don't move much so they kinda just chose a territory and kept to themselves. Just make sure you have plenty of food available and hand feed them if you feel like they aren't catching anything. 

I've kept 3 L4s up to adults together in a 15 gal viv before. They don't move much so they kinda just chose a territory and kept to themselves. Just make sure you have plenty of food available and hand feed them if you feel like they aren't catching anything. 
In your case, three ghosts in a 15 gallon tank probably won't bother each other too much because there's so much space, and probably a lot of cover. I think that Viking was thinking about keeping a group larger than three in his ten gallon. 

You still could have had cannibalism, but I guess you got lucky! My experience is the opposite of yours. I had five in a ten gal for a week and I wake up one morning to find two.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts