Should I remove the eggs that moths lay?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyes

Reaction score
I seem to be getting quite a collection of moth eggs in my mantis enclosures. Should I remove the eggs or just leave them?

I thought about maybe putting some fresh leaves in there for them to eat when they hatch but since moth larvae tend to protect themselves well with silk I think it might not work.

some of them will make silk that the mantids will get caught in. That happened to me and the little worms were everywhere.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. Bah, it's going to be hard to get them all out. No more fat juicy moths.

I think most of the eggs came from one Owlet type moth (Noctuidae?). It was really fat and looked like it would make a great meal but it spent most of its time not moving so the mantids never found it.

The eggs shouldn't be a problem to get off it's just that they're in several places on the enclosure walls that I can't reach without taking everything out. Now the mantises are about to molt and I don't want to disturb them. I hope the eggs don't hatch in the next couple days.

Well they hatched before the mantises finished molting. I got as many of the larvae out as I could but there are still a bunch. Anyone know exactly what kind of this moth is (see pic)? The larvae are so small that they can get out of my enclosure and now I don't know if should take everything outside (it's going to rain though)... Depending on what they eat (eg. cotton = BAD!).

Click for large version

Not sure about what they will eat but I would try oak as that is a common food source for moths

Also, only 1 species of moths that I am aware of eat cotton shirts. And this species is not it.

I didn't realize there is only one kind of cloth eating moth so that's good. I guess I'll bring 'em in and put some fresh leaves in there (everything seems to like my pecan tree, I'll try those).

Some moth larvae eat the steams/roots though (ie "cutworms") so they might not survive in any case.

Latest posts