Slow Hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teaspoons

Reaction score
Well my first wild collected ooth has started to hatch,

and from what I've been told and what the nymphs look like I'm

pretty sure they are Stagmomantis carolina :D

here is the first one, he didnt make it because something was wrong with his back legs

nymph.jpg

Anyway, the odd thing is, and it may be odd to me because this is only my second ever ooth-

they are hatching out very slowly- 1-3 a day for the last few days. Is this normal?

I'm spraying the enclosure to keep it humid, keeping heat on it, and it seems like it's large enough.(med. sized critter keeper with mesh lid)

Well if you plan to hatch ooths you should use 32 oz cups and on the bottom put paper towel and wet the towel and the insides of the container every other day if your using a critter keeper then you need to use the 32 oz cups instead of the keeper and should invest in a small plastic aquarium or something to keep the nymphs in with a lid or screen the top of the aquarium and maybe cut a hole in the side and use stryofoam to plug the hole and use the hole to pour in fruit flies with a funnel!

I think the heat has fried the ooth so nothing more will hatch out and using regular room temperatures should be enough to hatch ooths usually!

Doesn't look like I. oratoria. But I thought stagmomantis species hatch in waves anyway. Besides, I don't think you can randomly assume she burned the ooths massaman. She never gave the temps, only saying she put heat on them. This could mean sunlight.

I didn´t want to make other topic so in this one I wanted to ask you things like Teaspoon doubts

I had 3 P. virescens virescens ooths, but I realized last saturday that I had one nymph, later I saw two nymphs dead on the floor of my 32 oz cup, but since then I haven´t seen any more nymphs.... is it normal, or should I most not expect any more nymphs from that ooth??.

Some pictures of the little beauty eating a FF.

IMG_1837.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

saludos

Latest posts