Small cricket ok for chinese nymph to eat?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stmantidman

Reaction score
Hey all, I have an L3 Chinese Mantis, about 2" long in a 32 oz countainer and let me tell you, she doesn't like it lol. She wants space to move and hates going back into her enclosure from my hand, so I got a slightly larger container at a pet store near me. Apparently the container came with a cricket? The new enclosure is 7 1/8" x 4 3/8" x 5 1/2", Atleast 2x her body length in every direction (For now). The cricket is about half of an inch. She is currently feeding hydei flies. Can the nymph eat the cricket or is it too dangerous? 

Crickets have been a staple for my mantids for years, especially over the winter when I can't catch them other feeders outside. The cricket size should be fine and make a good dinner, but strange the new habitat had one in it.

At your mantid's instar level she should be eating houseflies or small crickets, and depending on her shyness she can likely eat bottle flies as well. Hydei for Tenodera sinensis is good after they hatch (L1) to L2, afterwards they should be fed more appropriate sized prey as they grow.

Crickets have been a staple for my mantids for years, especially over the winter when I can't catch them other feeders outside. The cricket size should be fine and make a good dinner, but strange the new habitat had one in it.

At your mantid's instar level she should be eating houseflies or small crickets, and depending on her shyness she can likely eat bottle flies as well. Hydei for Tenodera sinensis is good after they hatch (L1) to L2, afterwards they should be fed more appropriate sized prey as they grow.
Excellent good to know, I had a sense about that, she seemed to pity the hydei and appears to be getting bored with them as if they are way too easy to prey on for her lol. As I have just gotten used to her jumpiness and excitable attitude, how do I go about isolating the cricket? She just ate, and there are 1 or 2 more flies in her current container. Right now she is full and I know this cricket will be her biggest meal yet. This means I must wait a few hours and until then I would like to transfer her to the new enclosure first. How can I adequetly move to cricket? Shall I feed it?

strange the new habitat had one in it.
Indeed! I actually didn't notice it was in there until I was getting home. Honestly, I live in a somewhat rural area in Utah, and It was a rinky dink local pet store on main street. The only guy working there had a face on that said 'I'm having a bad day', and he had just finished telling the guy in front of me in line that he was covering for someone that didn't show up today. Now that I think of it, the guy in front of me was actually buying crickets!  :rolleyes:

Excellent good to know, I had a sense about that, she seemed to pity the hydei and appears to be getting bored with them as if they are way too easy to prey on for her lol. As I have just gotten used to her jumpiness and excitable attitude, how do I go about isolating the cricket? She just ate, and there are 1 or 2 more flies in her current container. Right now she is full and I know this cricket will be her biggest meal yet. This means I must wait a few hours and until then I would like to transfer her to the new enclosure first. How can I adequetly move to cricket? Shall I feed it?
Personally I just grab crickets with my 10" tweezers/tongs and can move them anywhere I want, but that comes with experience and often a few attempts anyway. Likely the best solution is to place the new habitat with the cricket outside, or in the middle of your floor away from places for it to hide, as it may jump out. Open the lid enough to put your hand in the habitat, and use a empty paper towel or toilet paper roll, and try to slide the cricket into that.

If your not having any luck securing the cricket, you can also try to capture it with a clean yogurt container or such too. Then place the lid on the container, or cover it with something to prevent it escaping - with the paper rolls you can just crimp the ends of the roll by smashing with your hands. Then simply dump the cricket into another container until you feed it to your girl.

Of course the simplest method would be to leave it in the current container until it's time to feed your girl, then put your girl in the new container and she will capture it. Once it's gone then you can setup the habitat how you want.

If your mantid isn't hand tamed yet, you can transfer her using a small stick or dowel rod, they easily climb on when it's placed near/under them (especially if they are trying to get out of a habitat anyway).

The only other method I can think of would be to open both your mantid's lid and the cricket's, and pour the cricket in with your girl and quickly put the lid on. I've done it myself before, but crickets will tend to try jumping when they get near a container opening and may make it onto the floor/table instead.

Indeed! I actually didn't notice it was in there until I was getting home. Honestly, I live in a somewhat rural area in Utah, and It was a rinky dink local pet store on main street. The only guy working there had a face on that said 'I'm having a bad day', and he had just finished telling the guy in front of me in line that he was covering for someone that didn't show up today. Now that I think of it, the guy in front of me was actually buying crickets!  :rolleyes:
Perhaps they had a few escape then from the other guy. If the store clerk was in a bad mood anyway it's hard to say if he had one climb on his arm, slip out of the bag/box as it wasn't secured properly, or maybe earlier on it escaped and made it into the habitat you bought. Likely it had something to do with the guy buying them, but we'll never know what. ;)

I use to have a local pet store that always had loose crickets, and they were unconcerned about it. Whenever asked or informed about it, they would respond it keeps their store's loose pet cats busy and the crickets never last long.

Of course the simplest method would be to leave it in the current container until it's time to feed your girl, then put your girl in the new container and she will capture it. Once it's gone then you can setup the habitat how you want.
I think I may do this, as she is completely hand-tamed. If anything, she prefers my hand over any other situation and is already spoiled with hand feeding. I'll let her capture the cricket in the new container, and then move her how I need to arrange the enclosure.

I use to have a local pet store that always had loose crickets, and they were unconcerned about it. Whenever asked or informed about it, they would respond it keeps their store's loose pet cats busy and the crickets never last long.
:lol:  That's hilarious, albeit more cleaning to do.

Ok just an update: I could not get her to eat the cricket. By the time I was able to put her in the new enclosure with it, the cricket was so exhausted he appeared lifeless, and she would only give him attention when he got moving.

New enclosure + cricket losing a leg accidentally from my only pair of viable 'tongs' (chopsticks found at home) + Still being full from flies + Largest prey insect she's encountered yet = Stress. She just kept batting him away. Maybe another day. 

On the plus side I could move onto completing the new habitat. I still need to apply some kind of mesh, as she prefers the highest point in the enclosure over ANY kind of sticks. 

Crickets will quickly drop one of their larger jumping legs to escape a predator, and after a few attempts will have just the little walking legs left - so that is quite common. Indeed the batting away behavior is a sign that your girl is full. In the meantime you can give the cricket a slice of potato, it will provide the cricket both water and food. If the cricket though is acting sick or nearly dead, it is best to get rid of it as a sick/dead cricket can make your girl sick.

Your girl will climb as high as see can, and hang upside down most of the time. Just the interesting behavior of a mantis. :) Regarding mesh, the cheapest option with good results is to use the plastic/fiberglass window screen mesh sold in rolls, or shelf/drawer liner material. Here is a link to the common materials often used.

Good news, she molted! She had been turning down food for nearly a week and I was worrying myself I had down something wrong, I thought for sure the cricket would be a treat for her. Her seemingly panicked and anxious drive to get to the top of her container and complete disregard for any other insect had me stumped. It was only when I stopped watching her so much and figured there's not much more I can do, that all was well. After about 2 hours of alone time and I come back to find she's not only settled on her preferred molting spot, she had begun the process and was about 80% out of her old exoskeleton with just 1 back leg and the end of her abdomen to go. A double take and she was out, climbing to re-perch, and her old skin at the bottom of the enclosure. Incredible. Stressed myself about falls and such and yet she just casually plows through the molt start to finish in an hour.

@1stmantidman Congrats! Sounds like she was preparing for awhile on the molt too, glad it turned out fine. She'll likely be ready tomorrow for something to eat. ;)