snake and toad!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went outside last night to do something, don't member what, and hubby and I saw the little snake that lives around the house eating or trying to eat a fat toad or frog, never can tell the diff, but the poor frog was trying to escape by grabbing the mulch, hubby wanted to use a stick and make it let it go, but I told him it could already be hurt enough not to live if let go and the snake needed to eat too. It was hard to watch, but u know me, I had to take a pic for my mantis friends!

MVC-548F.jpg

MVC-547F.jpg

MVC-546F.jpg

MVC-545F.jpg

MVC-549F.jpg

I hope it the snake is OK. That toad looks pretty big for it. :unsure: The toads secretions look nasty too.

Great pics. :)

They blow up with air to make themselves harder to eat. Looks like it's working in this case.

tks for the info Rick, I didn't know that, he wasn't there next morning, so I don't know if he got all of him or not. I thought, and little I know about it, that they stayed put after a big meal.

tks for the info Rick, I didn't know that, he wasn't there next morning, so I don't know if he got all of him or not. I thought, and little I know about it, that they stayed put after a big meal.
Normally the snake would swallow it head first which would make things a lot easier. He probably slithered off to a sheltered place to digest for the new few days.

Oh yes, that's a toad. Frogs have smooth skin and are generally found near water.

I just noticed something, the pics look pretty good, how come when I take pic of mantis inside, they come out bad? :( Hibiscy not happy!
I believe it has something to do with the depth of field which is the distance away from the camera that comes out sharp in an image. With smaller things the depth of field is going to have a smaller range of focus. You can look it up on the internets or youtubes for a better discription.

That toad really seemed expressionless, but now that I know that they hold their breath, it looks like it's holding it's breath. Poor little guy, it make's me feel sorry for him, but I know snakes have to eat too. It's the circle of life. ;)