some of my stick insects

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zirliz

Reaction score
First some pictures of the PSG9 Extatosoma tiaratum

I think a 1st instar

DSCF0031.jpg

I think a 4th instar - update from other thread

DSCF0034.jpg

Picture of second ET who hatched a week after one in first picture

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

And second species is

Phyillum sp.- leaf insect- maybe one of you can identify the species

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

Enjoy

I love the one u cannot identify, do any of them bite?
Nope, they are both really gentle species :wub: . Lucky really 'cos the ETs get huge.

The leaf insect may be P.siccifolium but looks to be really young atm. When they reach adult size you'll get a better ID I think. Quite a few species look similar to one another but siccifolium is one of the most common.

Sharla, the first pic is 1st instar. I find these to be a bu**er to keep. Once they shed they seem to toughen up and feed well on bramble. Mine have just shed to adult this week and are massive :lol: . How long have you had both species?

Hi Sharla,

Your Phyllium is most likely the species known as Phyllium sp. [Philippines] (only because that seems to be the species going around, these days). P. siccifolium doesn't have that lobed abdomen like P. hausleithneri and the species from the Philippines. I think I see lobes, but a photo with the abdomen flatted out would be helpful (of course, they never want to make it easy for us to take a photo, do they?).

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Sharla,

Where do you live? the UK or the US? I'm trying to find a US Phasmid breeder, but they're hard to find. :(

huh wth why are phasmids illegal?!
Because the government just wants to torture us and keep us from having fun. And then, they'll just steal money from the people who do have fun.

Don't you just love the "freedom" that US citizens enjoy?

Last edited by a moderator:
is there a reason for phasmid breeding being illegal in the us? is it a law? is keeping them also illegal over there?

sorry for the questions - i´m from germany and don´t understand!?

everybody can have a gun but you cannot have a phasmid??? :huh: :blink:

best wishes from "over there"

is there a reason for phasmid breeding being illegal in the us? is it a law? is keeping them also illegal over there?sorry for the questions - i´m from germany and don´t understand!?

everybody can have a gun but you cannot have a phasmid??? :huh: :blink:

best wishes from "over there"
Do you know what would happen if an herbivorous insect covered in spikes were let loose in our country? All plant life would be eaten up, and then they would set their sights on human flesh.

I believe there was a documentary made on the subject:

escapefromnewyorkgq8.jpg

Our only hope would be Kurt Russel.

lol, but yea they would eat all of the crops and such, but if you get a permit you can keep them. I've kept walking sticks before.......

Latest posts