Something weird

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today when I came home from class I noticed one of my Sub adult male Deroplatys lobata face fist in the ground. His legs were curled up and he looked dead. I picked the cage up and he sprung back to life, and sprinted like crazy all around his cage. I'd never seen a mantis move that fast.... I dunno what caused it. He seems fine but hes having a hard time gripping things.

Anyone know whats up? I'm assuming he was playing dead and got scared but I didn't know if Lobatas Did that sorta thing.

He was playing dead :p I have had P werneris, Deroplatys, and creos all do this. You probably spooked him when you came into the room.

Then again, what is his health like? Could be sick but i don't really know the context. Also as for the grip, none of my D. lobatas were very good grippers, they needed mesh and sticks to perch from.

Oh, and yes lobatas are definitely known for it :D

Edit: Oh and if symptoms of unhealthy-ness continue, let us know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that definitely sounds like playing dead. My mantids have almost given me a heartattack with that time and time again...

Latest posts