sotted tussock moth larva as food?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamerman

Reaction score
Hi, I am a newbie and was wondering if i can give a caterpillar of the spotted tussock moth (lophocampa maculata) to my mantis to eat? I've never given her a caterpillar before but found one in my yard today and was hoping? Here is a link to a picture and some info: http://bugguide.net/node/view/5241

Thanks, Jennie

The usual answer is "probably, we don't know for sure".

Usually the mantid will not eat anything it shouldn't. And if the caterpillar hairs are spiny they are more of a defense against vertebrates.

Of course, we're celebrating Thankscricket here today, so I wouldn't feel right giving a caterpillar as food, not traditional.

Hi, Thanks for the advice. I think I'll let her make up her own mind. I was hoping she might like it because she has an injury on her face where it appears to be chipped on the lower right bottom side and softer food would probably be less detrimental in terms of being less likely to result in any more chipping off. I have been giving her the smaller sized crickets which have a less developed exoskeleton. I'm not sure how it happened but I have been worried about it eventually causing her mouth to be misshapen to the point of her being unable to eat. She is getting on in age, she laid an unfertilized egg a couple of weeks ago but her appetite has been good and she appears to be fine so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed 'cause I am pretty attached to my little (not to be :( ) mama and I want to enable her to have the longest life cycle possible.

It probably won't hurt the mantid, Jenna, but I think that this caterpillar has urticating hairs that will break off in your skin and cause a nasty itch, so take care handling them. And please tell us how your experiment works out!