Species, which should I get?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've done one of these before but this one is a cert. I'm getting my first mantis soon and I have a choice out of these species. Looking for something easy and a nice size.

I have the choice of the following:

African Lined Mantis

Giant Indian Mantis

Chinese Praying Mantis

African Praying Mantis

and the next mantis I've searched and search and can only find a limited amount of info on:

Blue Flash Mantis.

So if you could tell me your views, advice on these (Would like to see what you say about the blue flash) that would be great.

GSB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like them ALL. I prefer Sphodromantis over Hierodula, as the latter can be kinda spastic in my experience. The "blue flash" mantis is just like other Sphodromantis, so no real individual care sheet is needed. I don't think?
unsure.gif

If size doesn't matter
laugh.gif
, Creobroters are nice and the apicalis get pretty big for small.
biggrin.gif

Those are all good mantis to get. With the Chinese Mantis, you might want to get them more when they are around L2/L3 or higher just because they die a lot easier around L1 for no reason a lot of times.

From my experience, the Blue Flash was a little bigger than the Lined African Mantis (Sphodromantis Lineola) and also a little hardier as a young nymph. The coloring is also a bit different as well. Other than that, they both attack food with a lot of force so they're very cool to keep if you like that aspect of it.

Latest posts