Spittle bugs okay as prey?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dana The spittlebugs (Prosapia bicincta) use a toxin that damages plants that they eat, and can release a chemical when threatened. I would suggest not using them as they toxic.

If you are finding them though you should also be able to find leafhoppers (Cicadellidae) (they eat plants too) and I've used them as feeders. The leafhoppers once disturbed can fly but sometimes just hop away to the other side of a leaf.

Thank you again!  If leafhoppers are okay, would you say that planthoppers are as well?  I'm not sure they're in the same family. 
Your welcome, and sure they are fine (and likely the same to most without close examination as they are both tiny). ;)

I have been wondering this myself lately as my Chinese mantises have reached that awkward age where they are too big for fruit flies but still too small for the solider flies and seem to rather turn on each other then take on the big scary black buzzers. There are a ton of these on the route I walk my dog on so I'll have to grab some. I used to feed them to my toad when she was itty bitty but toads have a much more cast iron stomach then mantises.

Also lovely to have an actual name for them! I always just called them "hoppy bugs" because I could not recall their common name. At least I was close!

@Teamonger Yes the awkward stage is hard to find appropriate sized feeders unless you buy them online (the small stable flies). Ha, you were very close in the common name. Best of luck catching them for your nymphs too. :)

I have been wondering this myself lately as my Chinese mantises have reached that awkward age where they are too big for fruit flies but still too small for the solider flies and seem to rather turn on each other then take on the big scary black buzzers. There are a ton of these on the route I walk my dog on so I'll have to grab some. I used to feed them to my toad when she was itty bitty but toads have a much more cast iron stomach then mantises.

Also lovely to have an actual name for them! I always just called them "hoppy bugs" because I could not recall their common name. At least I was close!
The Entomology group on Facebook is a huge help with identifying all kinds of bugs. I had wondered what those spittle bugs were called for several years and finally asked. 

My Carolina ate her first decent sized fly today and handled it really well. I have no idea what kind of fly it was though. Maybe you guys know?  It's a terrible picture though. 

20170702_083103_HDR~2.jpg

@Dana Just a common blue bottle fly (Calliphora vomitoria), the main feeder of many mantid keepers. :)