springtail culture died!?!?!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs4guy

Reaction score
I'm not sure why, first time with them, kept at around 72-75F, they seemed great for about 4 days, then they all stopped moving and the container started getting really smelly. Any tips? I only sprinkled a tiny bit of yeast once. Other than that, they were left alone to multiply and such....

I've had a culture going for well over a year with virtually no maintenance. No idea what happened here but if it smells something definitely went wrong. I kept mine in the container they came in from Josh's Frogs and add water and a few grains of rice every 3 or 4 months. That's all it takes. I think the charcoal keeps the water from getting stagnant? Not sure but it works.

Did you have hundreds of springtails Prec? Or just a few dozen? Mine all just died, no warning, and it effin stinks!

it is the yeast, do not add yeast to their house, just use rice, fish pellets or barley, or something like that, yeast cause a gas and without air ventilation it will kill them and fruit flies.

Ah ok, good call. So a few grains of uncooked brown rice should work huh? How often HSmile? Thanks!

I only do it once every 3 mts, but that is wrong, feed them one or two a week, I am lazy girl! and I promise to be better, starting next, wednesday, yes, that's it wednesday!

What do you even need springtails for? P.S. Once when I bred woodlice I somehow ended up with thousands of little springtails LOL :D ! Don't know how they got in there, but they just kept on breeding until I finally had to transfer them. I actually (I know this might sound weird) fed them dead insects.

They are the cleanup crew in most of my setups. I got the hang of their care, prolific buggers once they take off....

Latest posts