Springtails?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H_Ercule_S

Reaction score
I've always assumed these were springtails, am I right or are they something else? They become pretty much a mat of bugs on my back porch when the temperature is around 70F, and they disappear after about 85F all together. I guess my wife leaving her pb&j spoon on the porch before bed was a good thing, I've only seen them in a group a couple times but never had a camera. They can jump around and over an inch when I poke at them.

IMG_20151003_184238.jpg

Most likely they are springtails, as they do not appear to be fleas. I found a article about springtails doing as you described. Here is a photo the author of the article photographed of them on his porch too. Sounds like you have a easy method to lure them if you want to culture wild springtails too. ;)

springtailsNM1c.jpg

I played around with my USB microscope for a closer photo of the ones I culture; however, as they are so stalk white compared to the charcoal in one culture, it threw off the focusing, here is the best I got for a real close-up of them.

springtails-cu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are definitely springtails. There are many different species and they come in a few shapes and a variety of sizes. There are some interesting globular springtails where I work that look like orange balls with a head and antennae.

Fleas have antennae, but they're hidden away in grooves and are not visible like the clearly visible antennae of springtails. Fleas also have plated exoskeletons and are laterally compressed--they appear very thin unless they've been feeding.

I know they aren't fleas, I'd be burning the porch with gas if they were fleas in that number lol. They seem a bit small to be feeders but then again I've never seen a newly hatched mantis yet. Just my luck that I already make my own charcoal for drawing :) . Need to figure out how to feed them now...

I know they aren't fleas, I'd be burning the porch with gas if they were fleas in that number lol. They seem a bit small to be feeders but then again I've never seen a newly hatched mantis yet. Just my luck that I already make my own charcoal for drawing :) . Need to figure out how to feed them now...
Indeed I wasn't suggesting fleas, just saying that was the only other likely suspect and it wasn't that. ;)

Depends on the mantis species if they require springtails first or not before FF, but if the springtails are in the container anyway cleaning the habitat many mantid nymphs won't pass up a few as a snack between feedings.

If you want to go the charcoal route, it's recommended to use aquarium grade charcoal. It also seems to be the most popular culturing method when buying them. Just wash it first then fill a deli cup half full of charcoal and then use distilled water to fill with water to about 1/2"-1/4" below the top of the charcoal. Then just add springtails.

I've had much higher populations (more than I ever would need) in a plastic shoe box filled a little less than half full of top soil/compost and sprayed till about 1/4" of water or so is in the bottom with the dirt. Add a layer of ground oats/powdered milk and wet down lightly too (springtails go crazy over the stuff as it molds in 24hours when wet and they have a feast). Then add springtails and put on the lid - the lid does not need any holes or mesh (same for the deli cup cultures in charcoal too).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts