Staple Diet

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scythe

Reaction score
I've been feeding my mantis a steady stream of flies; I place a banana peel and a grape outside and then place my mantis near the food. The food attracts lots of common house flies; she (the mantis) caught 4 flies and ate all of them. What I'm wondering is that is it safe for the mantis to eat only house flies as her staple diet? I might add a few bees or moths, but I'm very limited in food choice besides house flies.

Welcome. We have an introductions forum where I encourage you to tell the community a bit about yourself.

To answer your question I suppose it partly depends on what type of mantis you have. If these are wild flies they will make good meals. If the mantis is large it can take a lot of flies to properly feed a large mantis. A small species like a Stagmomantis spp. could do just fine on a diet of flies like that. House flies are on the small size though. Bluebottle flies are much larger and readily available to purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as diet a varied diet of captive feeders, wild caught flies, moths, roaches, crickets, silkworms, and others or a mix would do better but if you must focus just on flies make sure they are properly gut loaded to ensure some level of nutrition for the mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wild-caught insects are pretty good for mantids. I would just make sure the insects aren't around any areas that are sprayed with pesticides, since that can make the mantis sick.

All of the above sums up what I was going to say, but moths are excellent to feed too, and as long as they cannot injure the mantis even spiders, they are only a treat though, as I like to have a few around.

Latest posts