Starting Out

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman_6104

Reaction score
Hi everyone i'm new to this Forum and to mantid keeping. I was sent to this forum by someone at another forum (Aquaria Central) and i saw some pics that he had on there. And it was like love at first sight. I am willing to put blood sweat and hopfully no tears into this. I want to get into keeping mantids and was just wondering what i needed to get started. any posts will be great. thank you for your time.

Well,

you'll need a small plastic tank like a critter keeper(i find these work best). Then a substrate (soil, vermiculite etc) something that can hold moisture.And then a few twigs in the enclosure so the mantis has something to climb on (although they tend to spend most of their time on the roof)

And lastly you will probably need some mesh type stuff which you put on top of the enclosure and then put the lid onto that till it clicks on so the mantis has a good surface to hold onto when it sheds its skin.You will also need a spray so you can spray it with water so it can drink and soften its skin for sheds.

next, you will need live food like crickets, flies or wax worms. I feed mine every few days. Last but not least, you're gonna need a mantis. Easy species to keep are the likes of african (sphodromantis), chinese (tenondera), giant indian/asian (hierodula) and egyptian (miomantis).

If you want a more advanced species, then you will require a heat mat, and you'll have to do some research on how to care for them.

Cheers, Cameron.

Just get started and ask a lot of questions. There are a lot of different techniques being used. You just have to find what works best for you. For instance I prefer glass aquariums over critter keepers. I only use mesh if it's for small nymphs and the mesh is there to teh fruit flies in.

Make sure you have fruit fly cultures ready ahead of time if you get an ooth...you don't want to get caught with 200+ mouths to feed, but food in the mail!

Latest posts