Stick insects as mantis food?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meiji

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with raising stick insects as mantis food? I am thinking of cultivating Carausius morosus or something for this purpose. I know they reproduce more slowly than crickets, but they're also cleaner and might climb the enclosure walls where mantises can find them.

Does anyone have any experience with raising stick insects as mantis food? I am thinking of cultivating Carausius morosus or something for this purpose. I know they reproduce more slowly than crickets, but they're also cleaner and might climb the enclosure walls where mantises can find them.
They reproduce far more than crickets, i know people, and occasion myslef who when they have too many stick insects may feed some to keep numbers healthy, but i wouldnt breed them just as mantid food as i read somewhere that they are not that good a food source nutrition wise or something

I use giant prickly stick insect nymphs for my lizards and mantids, because i have looooads of em but most would do nicely, provided they dont have a noxious defence.

They are nice and meaty but others would do as well.

They are a good fall back when my roaches and flies are low and can only be another good variety to my animals diet :)

I use giant prickly stick insect nymphs for my lizards and mantids, because i have looooads of em but most would do nicely, provided they dont have a noxious defence.They are nice and meaty but others would do as well.

They are a good fall back when my roaches and flies are low and can only be another good variety to my animals diet :)
Thanks for the info Birdfly. I think I am going to try to make aphids and stick insects a part of the diet of my mantises. I live in an urban apartment and it's very important that I don't stink up the place with fly cultures, etc. Do you think the giant prickly is the best stick insect to culture as a food insect? If I kept a few healthy adults as pets what rate of reproduction can I expect? Thanks.

Hi, no i think some thing a bit smaller like Carausius morosus would be best for mantids, easier handled.

I only use the giant prickly coz a friend gave me, what seems like thousands of eggs, as they hatch and grow i feed certain sizes to my mantids and certain bigger sizes to my lizards.

They make interesting pets in their own right so i am keeping the largest males and females to start the whole thing going again. :)

Hi, no i think some thing a bit smaller like Carausius morosus would be best for mantids, easier handled.I only use the giant prickly coz a friend gave me, what seems like thousands of eggs, as they hatch and grow i feed certain sizes to my mantids and certain bigger sizes to my lizards.

They make interesting pets in their own right so i am keeping the largest males and females to start the whole thing going again. :)
I agree. I raised C. morosus about ten years ago and they are cute and fun to feed. Where do you recommend I get eggs to get started again?

Hi Meiji,

Stick-insects do not make sense as feeders for mantises. First, they take months to incubate. Second, they grow more slowly than crickets. Third, they are uninteresting to mantises because of the way they move (or don't move, actually). Finally, the hobby has already shown that flies, roaches and crickets are the more superior feeders. If stick-insects were a viable feeder more people would be doing it. I raise a couple phasmid species, but attempting to feed them to mantises is mostly a waste of time. Only newborn nymphs are active enough to capture a mantis' attention. At that point they really aren't much of a gutload for any mantis large enough to be unitimidated by all the legginess.

Stick with the various sizes of flies, feeder roaches and home-raised crickets.

Hi Meiji,Stick-insects do not make sense as feeders for mantises. First, they take months to incubate. Second, they grow more slowly than crickets. Third, they are uninteresting to mantises because of the way they move (or don't move, actually). Finally, the hobby has already shown that flies, roaches and crickets are the more superior feeders. If stick-insects were a viable feeder more people would be doing it. I raise a couple phasmid species, but attempting to feed them to mantises is mostly a waste of time. Only newborn nymphs are active enough to capture a mantis' attention. At that point they really aren't much of a gutload for any mantis large enough to be unitimidated by all the legginess.

Stick with the various sizes of flies, feeder roaches and home-raised crickets.
Yeah, you're right of course. My creative ideas have led me down a path of trouble in the past and probably will in the future as well!

Peters right, they arent the best foods, i only use them as i have so many.

Roaches, flies etc are a better, faster breeding bet and all that i mostly rely on although i personnally feed my predators all i can find, buy or raise.

A bit off topic but food for thought? if you'll excuse the pun perhaps even a thread of its own?

Nutritionally though i fail to see why they are inferior, mantids (unlike lizards, T's etc) usually reject their preys stomach contents, especially herbivours, the "good gut loading" we like to have for our carnivorous pets and their prey is important but for mantids i believe its more on a cellular level ie a roache eating say a proprietory gut load or meat, fruit and veg is replacing its cells with good, undamaged, unprocessed foods and converting its flesh into a healthier meal for a predator unlike a roache that has been starved in its box for a long time then given some thing nice to eat a few days before it is in turn eaten by a mantid, it hasnt had time to replace its inferior meat and so a mantis is not getting the rewards??

any thoughts on this one? :)

Latest posts