Successful molt averages?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantidae

Reaction score
What type of success rate do you have with molting (Chinese specifically, all others)? I realize each person will have varied results over time but when the data is combined it will yield an average

1. From L1 to adult, percent that make it.

2. Various stages. Any stage that is more prone to problems?

I had perhaps 10 out of 100 nymphs die due to bad molts up to L4. I've found that the molting problems then killed off 3 of the 23 I had left when they got to the L5-7 stage (several more still need to get to L7). Humidity level is good, mist every day, plenty of moist food, temp is around 72F. I assume that in nature the molting problems are worse. Just tying to learn what to expect, molting wise, to a batch of 100 nymphs as they mature, thanx.

you may be doing nothing wrong. species that lay ooths containing many nymphs have weaker nymphs, nymphs that may die for no reason. the general rule is, the fewer the nymphs, the larger and hardier they are. chinese mantids fall into the first category since each ooth can contain hundreds.

I generally don't have molting issues. But when it comes to Chinese mantids I do have mass die offs of nymphs in the L1 stage.

I have about 20 mantises. One didn't make it out of its first molt. Two didn't molt at all and it looks like they're going to die soon. In fact, one is probably dead already. It looks really healthy and pale green but it stopped moving.

you may be doing nothing wrong. species that lay ooths containing many nymphs have weaker nymphs, nymphs that may die for no reason. the general rule is, the fewer the nymphs, the larger and hardier they are. chinese mantids fall into the first category since each ooth can contain hundreds.
I know that the deaths are normal, especially in nature, en masse, just was curious how much better they survive when we pamper them. Want to get better at this before trying my hand with the exotic mantids and their need for a much more controlled environment.

Agreed, large is not always better. In nature large numbers in reproduction are needed to allow the 1, 2 or 3% that survive to carry on the species. I have bred tropical fish before and they would lay hundreds of eggs sometimes. In nature all those eggs represent a "food" source for other fish, only a few survive and become adults. My guess was only 5-10% (if that many) of mantid nymphs in the wild make it to adult size and reproduce.

I do recall forum members saying that all their nymphs died off, none survived, it happens. The survival rate would have been much higher had I separated them sooner rather than let them thin out their own ranks via cannibalism, that took the heaviest toll. Thanx 4 the reply.