Such Precision

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minomantis

Reaction score
Have you noticed when your mantis catches food (specifically flying insects because they're harder to catch) that the mantis seems like to be really concentrating? (i'm sure they are analysing but I don't know how the mind of a mantis works in terms of their nervous system and all that good stuff) For example, if there is a fly in her habitat, she will literally turn her head ever so slowly but meaningfully and purposefully adjusting herself to execute her catch. She can have so many opportunities to catch the fly, but if it's not perfect for her, she doesn't go for it! It's cool, just thought I'd share that. lol

I love watching them eye their prey like that, especially the orchid, shes amazing to watch her stalk :)

Whenever a wasp whizzes by my idolo's face, they will turn their head rapidly to the position of the fly. It is really cool!!!!

Pnigomantis medioconstricta, Sphodromantis sp. "Blue Flash", Tenodera sinensis, Stagmomantis carolina are quite clumsy in striking LOL! But Pseudoharpax virescens are very good. Deroplatys lobata nymphs are not very clumsy.

Here is a video of an adult female Pseudoharpax virescens quick strike.

Yeah my limbata female eats continously and once she didn't eat for 3 days. She literally jumped on top of that poor cricket! She is really cool to watch stalking. If a fly lands anywhere in the cage and she will go to it.

Latest posts