Suitable size of prey for mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormholes556

Reaction score
Hi i have an african praying mantis, whos body is roughly 2cm long (from head to end of body)

I have been feeding it micro crickets which are about 3/4mm and he eats them no problem.

However when ordering new crickets i accidentally ordered small/medium crickets, instead of small/medium microcrickets.

The crickets are between 6-10mm, when i put one in he did not try and attack them but almost seemed to be afraid of them.

so i found a few larvae (about 6-8mm) with the crickets, chucked one in and he grabbed it, started chewing on it but when it

started to move it suprised him and he dropped it and would not go for it again.

is the new live food too big? or is it just he is not used to prey that size?

Update: i have put a total of 2 of the crickets in today, and now they are nowhere to be seen, i would usually assume that they

Had been eaten but i havent seen the mantis go anywhere near the bottom of the enclosure and for some reason i think they

may have just buried themselves in the dirt, do they do that?

005_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one fat little mantid. I would say he's fine until he molts or his stomach gets smaller. That species will take prey up to their own size. When that full though they will not be interested.

So hard to tell, yes they will bury theirselves, u can cut a cricket in half and offer to him on a toothpick , sometimes they will take it that way once they taste it. but make sure to give it water. they get thirsty.

Latest posts