Tenodera angustipennis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mco64

Reaction score
I made my first post a little bit ago about a mantis I found outside. I thought it was the Carolina mantis but I recently noticed an orange spot between her arms. I looked this up and found that it may the Tenodera angustipennis. It said how Chinese mantis have red between the arms, and its ooths look nothing like those. 
So I searched this forum and found 0 results. If there is anybody who knows about this species at all I would be interested to hear from you.
EDIT: I should add that the first post I made was asking about if the ooths need diapause. So that's the main thing I want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tenodera augustipennis is nearly exactly the same as the Chinese mantis tenodera sinensis. The only difference is that these are slightly smaller with the orange spot. Another thing, Chinese mantises have a yellow dot not a red one. Neither of these species need the ooths to be diapaused.

Tenodera is much larger than S. carolina so it would be a bit difficult to confuse the two. 

You could post a picture. I posted a pic of an angustipennis adult female and a pic with two ooths. Their ooths do look similar to S. carolina ooths but are much larger. 

P9260070.JPG

P9260089.JPG

I was just going by the way the ooth looked since I never have seen a Carolina. Sick pictures though, she's definitely Tenodera augustipennis.

Another question - She has a black spot on her left wrist (not sure what the insect term is). She doesn't really bend it or use it to catch/hold prey. What is this, and is there anything I should do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just going by the way the ooth looked since I never have seen a Carolina. Sick pictures though, she's definitely Tenodera augustipennis.

Another question - She has a black spot on her left wrist (not sure what the insect term is). She doesn't really bend it or use it to catch/hold prey. What is this, and is there anything I should do?
Sounds like an injury. I don't think there is anything you can really do except hope it heals. 

Latest posts