The overfeeding issue again

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8erkho

Reaction score
Today is the first day I decided to add the meal-worms to my mantids diets. Only the pet shop only had the 1 1/2" size. So I cut the head off and my little dudes went to town on them. I noticed the little fatty fats getting a bit too fat. To the point where my Giant Asians red and black weird lines under the abdomen or what ever are like so exposed it almost looks like they are going to pop! So far they are in tact but I remember a member trying an experiment a while ago where he put this theory of overeating to the test. He took pics of the little mantid with his guts or whatever green ooze hanging out. So, my nephews ask do they know when to stop eating, Auntie?? I go , I hope so or else, Squuush!! Anyway, they are just really plump and sweaty like. They ate the entire worm so I don't think they knew to stop and would have kept on going if the worms had been any bigger. Maybe next time I'll have to cut t in half!! Just to be safe!!! ;)

i dont belive it..the mantid will eat untill its stuffed them stop..them Hierodula species can east alot..im gueesing your giant asian looks like mine..mine is so fat the red and black bits on her belly are stuck right out all the time..when she walks to drags her belly its that fat..mine has been adult since november 14th..its been 8 weeks..!!! 8 WEEKS and she hasnt laid an ooth.she needs a mate badley

While I am no expert, I would be surprised it they ate until they exploded. Though I have heard that in dogs, Labradors will eat until they cant force anymore food down, which is likely a bad situation. I would not argue with anyone who said a mantis will eat until it pops, I do question that until someone here who breeds them says yes i have seen it happen.

my giant has eat so much this week today she had full size crikct and after eating 1/3 droped it..she wont take any more food shes stuffed..but my guees is she wil want some more tomorow..lol.pics to come.

well, in humans, there is a certain hormone I remember something about, that is not actually released from the brain (pituitary?) until 15-30 minutes of becoming full when eating, so dieticians always advise to eat slowly and sip water to give your body time to feel full so you don't overindulge in food. Maybe mantids don't have any hormone or similar system to tell them to stop eating? Would be interesting to investigate via controls, etc.

There have been some cases when mantids overate, I remember one thread reading that someone put their mantis in a cage with flies and went to chop wood. When they came back, the mantis totally overate, threw up and experienced diarrhea for an hour. Later it was okay.

I've never had an experience when one of mine had an internal explosion from eating so much, maybe once. 'Twas a chinese nymph, ate so much that the middle of its abdomen got bent a little sideways, then I stopped feeding and a day later it was fine. That's about it. All mine just drop their food when they are full. Maybe it has something to do with species/age?

Last edited by a moderator:
Today is the first day I decided to add the meal-worms to my mantids diets. Only the pet shop only had the 1 1/2" size. So I cut the head off and my little dudes went to town on them. I noticed the little fatty fats getting a bit too fat. To the point where my Giant Asians red and black weird lines under the abdomen or what ever are like so exposed it almost looks like they are going to pop! So far they are in tact but I remember a member trying an experiment a while ago where he put this theory of overeating to the test. He took pics of the little mantid with his guts or whatever green ooze hanging out. So, my nephews ask do they know when to stop eating, Auntie?? I go , I hope so or else, Squuush!! Anyway, they are just really plump and sweaty like. They ate the entire worm so I don't think they knew to stop and would have kept on going if the worms had been any bigger. Maybe next time I'll have to cut t in half!! Just to be safe!!! ;)
I don't think anything in nature is designed to eat non-stop until it pops, that just goes against evolution and Darwinian principals. I am not saying it's impossible, though... mantids can take in a lot. As a responsible keeper, one should use some degree of moderation.

I don't think anything in nature is designed to eat non-stop until it pops, that just goes against evolution and Darwinian principals. I am not saying it's impossible, though... mantids can take in a lot. As a responsible keeper, one should use some degree of moderation.
This is usually the way I handle my mantids, I'm very cautious. As I stated this is my first time feeding them the worms and am trying to decide one how much they are able to handle. Like whether I should cut them in half or is it safe to leave it up to the mantis. Today it is as MJ stated where they are so fatty fat that the red & black segments are just poking out and they drag their abdomens on the floor!! But, all is well they are in good shape!! So no worries!! :p

I toss in a boat load of flys and tiny crickets ... they eat what they want and it saves me from having to feed them daily. I do look in on them and mist every few days, but there is no way i am going to feed them 1 or 2 flys/crickets everyday.

There have been some cases when mantids overate, I remember one thread reading that someone put their mantis in a cage with flies and went to chop wood. When they came back, the mantis totally overate, threw up and experienced diarrhea for an hour. Later it was okay.
Cage ? Flies ? Mantis ? Wood ?! That must be me ;)

I got totally fed up with people saying that mantids will eat until they explode, so I put the most greedy mantis I keep in a cage with far too many flies just to show what really happens.

If they ate until they popped then there would be exploded mantids everywhere in the wild :p

DSC_000710.jpg

DSC_00106.jpg

Rob.

i feed my giant so many massive crickets it made her ill rob..well..im not sure if it was that..it could of been a bad cricket?she started oozing green stuff out her bum and she was sick for a bit..shes sort of ok now..i stopped feeding her for now..adult female giant asian

2160353863_4e21bd9235_b.jpg

I've never seen a exploding mantis in several years overfeeding them :)

Some mantids barf if they are overfed AND kept to cool.

The Cilnia on the picture above looks like she fall down while adult-molting ( Just look at the angle the Thorax and Abdomen build: It is about 90° but should be about 180°!!!)

yes, sure.

Is it "fell" down, not "fall"? Sorry! :(

I've never seen a exploding mantis in several years overfeeding them :)Some mantids barf if they are overfed AND kept to cool.

The Cilnia on the picture above looks like she fall down while adult-molting ( Just look at the angle the Thorax and Abdomen build: It is about 90° but should be about 180°!!!)
Maybe she's so fat and her avdomen's so heavy she can't support her abdomen to that 180 degree angle. Kind of funny and sad at the same time. :p

I too have fed them way too much and never had one explode.

I lost my last house and one of my daughters to a mantis explosion. It's not something to joke about.

Ok, maybe it is.

It's somewhat harmful to continually feed mantids till they're overly extended but losses due to excess food are the result of a secondary problem.

No mismoult happened with that female - the abdomen was just so full of flies that it hung that way ;)

Scott - she too was sick but was perfectly fine the next day.