Tips for Heterochaeta

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcarlton

Reaction score
So up until the last couple of weeks I have had little to no problem getting my H. orientalis to feed, and could coax them into taking flies, roaches, meal worms, you name it, but recently despite clearly needing to eat (some are starting to get thin) they've often begun more or less ignoring the flies I mostly try and give them and their interest level is at best hit or miss. My only thought is that they might be turning a touch sluggish because temperatures have gotten cooler (something that despite the far warmer temperatures in my room than the rest of the house I can't do much about), but if anyone has tips on how to get them interested in food again especially in getting around the slight temperature drop occurring thanks to winter, it would be much appreciated. None of my other species are giving similar issues despite most also being tropicals.

As far as I’ve read Heterochaeta aren’t really bothered my changes in temp/humidity... could be that they are getting ready to molt.

I kept mine in a mesh enclosure at room temperature. If they dont eat try to feed them a mealworm (head or taill ripped and feed the juices and they'll grab onto it).

Put a desk lamp on them, it'll heat them up a little bit.also make sure they have water. 

Can't set a desk lamp on top of my bed...they did take mealworms with coaxing before, but I don't want that to be all they eat especially since I have the flies and roaches more readily available. Also, really doubt that they're all getting ready to molt since some only did so a week or two ago, so that can't be a common factor, and they all live in relatively large, well ventilated houses (one a mesh house). From what I read they don't like high humidity, so I don't think trying to up the number of times I mist them will help either, especially when up to this point it was more than enough and they don't actively drink when I mist anyway.

I could not possibly tell you, as I don't know what they arrived as. The largest are nearly 5" long.

Those are probably close to adulthood then. If they have stopped eating for a few days maybe they are preparing for a big molt? 

A couple of them did molt, but that doesn't explain the others. Occasionally they'll go after the flies but then if they miss half the time they ignore them henceforth.

I did get ahold of some more mealworms, and may end up trying to raise them, and for the most part I can coax them to eat that, but is there any risk of the high fat content in grubs being an issue if that's all they eat? I'm getting somewhat lucky some of the wax worm moths I have are finally hatching out and they seem to more readily take those, but I don't have a ton of those either.