Tips on mantis preservation

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik Anderson

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a mantis that has sadly passed away. I would like to, however, preserve it. What is the best way to preserve a mantis to prevent from discoloration/decay?

Do I store it in a solution? If so, what type of solution can I use?

Thanks in advance for tips/advice/suggestions

I use a 70% ethanol to store bugs before I pin them. Rubbing alcohol also works, but it can stiffen them up so if you're looking to pin I'd say to mix the alcohol with some water before storing. If you're not looking to pin, you should be fine storing them in the classic 70-80% rubbing alcohol you get from stores. You'll probably have to keep an eye on the liquid level and add more when it gets low because it evaporates annoyingly quickly (even in closed jars).

If your mantis is larger and you'd like to pin them or store them without a solution, you might need to cut open their abdomen and remove the guts.

Sorry that your mantis passed away! They have such short lives :(

What is the best way to preserve a mantis to prevent from discoloration/decay?
It's seems they lose some color over time.

Do I store it in a solution? If so, what type of solution can I use?
@Firenkyo is right about the alcohol. Like they said the liquid does evaporate annoyingly fast. I filled one of my specimen jars with alcohol and sealed it with a rubber stopper and dipped the top of the bottle neck with a hard sealing wax... it still manages to evaporate over time. Perhaps someone has a remedy for this problem and will respond.

And welcome to the forum! đź‘‹

Latest posts