ugh crickets...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sally

Reaction score
I, being new to all this, didn't know crickets can chew through mesh screen. Now I have crickets somewhere.... My bf f saw one in the tub and asked what am I doing with the " bugs " in the tub lol. Really... I am so screwed when they start chirping. I already keep saying, " oh no, there aren't more mantids I just spread them out in more containers.. Then he went into the fridge to get sour cream and oops they where flys... Already hatched ....

They chewed through mesh? Like no see um? I put mine in net cages to feed my mantid's and they don't chew it. Maybe they need a little more food?

Not being smart just suggesting. I love my critter keeper for my crix super easy and they don't get out.

Assuming these are your standard petstore crickets, they are ridiculously easy to catch. They aren't too bright when it comes to survival instincts and are pretty clumsy to boot. They are like the domestic chicken of the feeder bug world.

I use a tallish rubbermaid for crickets. I cut a hole in the lid and hot glue in fiberglass window screen. Rarely I would see a cricket on the screen but they can't chew through that stuff.

yep crickets can chew threw anything that is thin, even cardboard and paper sack lol. i learned the hard way too.

I've had them chew through plastic when I would procrastinate in cleaning out their critter keeper and putting them in there. Learned my lesson the hard way. But I've never had them chew through the plastic...maybe the new critter keepers are made of cheaper stuff? Anyway, like someone said, I'd feed them and provide some egg carton or something for them to play with, pretty easy to please.

They chewed through mesh? Like no see um? I put mine in net cages to feed my mantid's and they don't chew it. Maybe they need a little more food?

Not being smart just suggesting. I love my critter keeper for my crix super easy and they don't get out.
Yes the mesh is on the top of the Tupperware container. I was finding a new hole each day. I have removed them now into a critter keeper.

Assuming these are your standard petstore crickets, they are ridiculously easy to catch. They aren't too bright when it comes to survival instincts and are pretty clumsy to boot. They are like the domestic chicken of the feeder bug world.
"Domestic chickens of the feeder world." HAAA !! Ain't that the truth! :clown:

Latest posts