unable to molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuwu

Reaction score
i've never had this happen before, but i guess there's a first for everything. i found my male c. humeralis dangling almost lifeless today. the first thing i noticed was that it's abdomen seemed twisted. it turns out that he was due to molt but for some reason, his skin was unable to split. in a normal molt, the skin splits from the head and down it's back. however, in this case, i see that the stomach part somehow split but the head part never did. i mist him 2 - 3 times a week and they don't require high humidity so i'm not sure what happened to him. he was molting into an adult too, what a shame. i didn't want him to go to waste so i fed him to my female c. humeralis. she is so fat right now.

Picture-487.jpg

Picture-489.jpg

Yeah that doesn't happen often and sorry to see it happened to you. They are a great species. Was he your only male?

sad to see that. I had a similar experience like you. A female c. humeralis I had that I let outside it's container couldn't molt properly. It couldn't get into the proper position and tried to molt vertically, head facing down. When I first noticed it it was already stuck, so I had to put it down. I should've left it inside it's cup, but too late for that now. Now I'm down to 1 smaller female and 3 males.